new_fencing_room_in_hutch_gym

The Hutchinson renovation project will include a new fencing room. Currently, the fencing team is limited to practice in two small rooms in the basement of the building.

Credit: Courtesy of Penn Facilities and Real Estate Services

Groups like Penn’s fencing team will soon be glad to have a brand new practice facility in Hutchinson Gymnasium.

Over the weekend, the Board of Trustees approved the first phase of a major renovation project for Hutchinson. The renovation process — which is projected to cost $22 million — will begin in May.

A second construction phase will require additional approval from the Board of Trustees this summer.

Athletic Director Steve Bilsky expects the entire project to be completed by fall 2013.

According to Bilsky, the Hutchinson renovation project will provide the near century-old building with some much-needed features, such as an air-conditioning system, a new basketball court and a new gymnasium.

Another highlight of the construction is the new fencing room. Currently, the fencing team is limited to practice in two small rooms in the basement of the building.

Members of Penn’s fencing team expressed their support for the planned renovations.

“It’s been the same since my grandpa was here 60 years ago,” said College and Wharton freshman Sarah Parmacek, whose grandfather was a member of the fencing team when he attended Penn. “I know everyone is super excited for the renovations to take place.”

“Having a larger space will allow us to have better practices,” College senior Zane Grodman said. “It’s going to help fencing overall.”

Hutchinson was built in the 1920s and has received virtually no upgrades or renovations since then, Bilsky said.

Once completed, “it will be a beautiful facility,” he said. “It will take advantage of all the things that are modern, and the atmosphere and the aesthetics will be really nice.”

The project is part of Penn’s larger effort in developing the east end of campus.

According to Bilsky, the Hutchinson renovation is the third phase of Penn Athletics’ multi-year plan.

The other two phases — which are now complete — included the addition of both George A. Weiss Pavilion and Penn Park.

The Hutchinson renovation will cover approximately 98,000 square feet of space in the building, according to University Architect David Hollenberg.

The renovations will primarily impact the fencing, wrestling, gymnastics and rowing teams, Bilsky said.

These teams — which practice in Hutchinson — will be temporarily affected by the construction. Penn Athletics is still figuring out where the teams will practice during the renovations.

Despite these setbacks, many students think the trade off will be worth it.

“It’d just be nice to have a new environment,” Wharton sophomore Wendy Zhao said. “I know it’ll help in attracting new fencers,”

“I can’t imagine there would be a facility that would be greater,” Bilsky said.

Related

Steinberg-Dietrich to undergo $18.5-million makeover
Board of Trustees convenes to discuss University finances, academic policies
Weiss Pavilion receives LEED gold certification