09192010_greek_lady_reopening005
Greek Lady re-opening after renovation Credit: Michael Chien

For students awaiting the return of Greek Lady, the wait is over.

Popular campus restaurant Greek Lady, now at 222 and 224 S. 40th St., re-opened this Saturday after completing a major renovation and expansion which began in June.

Owner Dimitrios Dimopoulos said the restaurant still has the same lunch and dinner offerings as before the renovation.

The restaurant added items such as french toast, bagels, freshly-squeezed orange juice and pancakes to its existing breakfast menu of omelettes and sandwiches.

Hours have been extended earlier to 7 a.m. to accommodate breakfast patrons, but students getting a late start can still order breakfast any time after 10:30 a.m., the end of breakfast-only hours.

The restaurant expanded into the storefront next door, formerly occupied by Izzy and Zoe’s, a deli.

Greek Lady’s interior has undergone extensive renovation, more than doubling its size to over 3,000 square feet and completely changing the restaurant’s look.

Dimopoulos said the goal of the new interior design was to give the space the “feel of a Greek tavern,” with archways, columns and exposed brick.

The expanded area now has stone counters where customers can watch their food being prepared. Glass cases display pastries and desserts in the rear, adjacent to three cash registers and a beverage area.

Instead of retrieving their food at a counter, customers now display an order number at their table, allowing employees to deliver the food. Dimopoulos said he hopes the food being brought to customers will offer better service.

Patrons who want their food to take with them can still order to go.