09-30-23-womens-soccer-vs-yale-mallory-lucas-sydney-curran
Penn women's soccer tied against the University of Delaware on Sep. 5. Credit: Sydney Curran

The saying goes that one doesn’t get a second chance to make a first impression. But Penn women’s soccer clearly didn’t abide by that message this weekend. Following a loss versus Columbia to open Ivy League play last weekend, the Quakers came back from two goals down to tie Yale 2-2 on Saturday in New Haven, Conn. 

For Penn (1-6-4, 0-1-1 Ivy), this game would be crucial. With only one win in the non-conference season and only seven Ivy matches on the schedule, gaining points from each remaining fixture is key to advancing to the Ivy League tournament. For the Bulldogs (7-3-1, 1-0-1), this game also had important stakes, as they sought to remain atop the Ivy table and contend for a top spot in the conference. 

Early in the game, the momentum appeared to be with Yale. The Bulldogs had plenty of ball control, as Penn found it difficult to break their pressure and force the ball upfield. And when Yale was in possession, it forced chances and tested the Quaker defense. 

This paid off in the 13th minute, when Yale centerback Belle Golden scored to give the Bulldogs an early lead. The lead doubled just 10 minutes later, due to the handiwork of Yale midfielder/forward Ellie Rappole. Rappole — who assisted Golden’s goal — dribbled down the left side of the field and put a strike into the back of the net. 

Now down two goals, Yale continued its pressure through the rest of the first half to take the two-goal lead into the halftime break. By this point, the Bulldogs had a 5-2 shot advantage, including two shots on goal, compared to none for the Quakers. 

After halftime, though, Penn’s adjustments were paying off. In the 52nd minute, freshman midfielder Mila Maltby drew a corner kick after her shot was parried by Yale’s goalkeeper. And on the ensuing setpiece, her fellow freshman, defender Isabella Zulli, scored to bring the Quakers within one goal. 

Still trailing, Penn continued to play aggressively, forcing pressure on the Bulldogs’ defense. Throughout the second half, each team had four shots. This effort culminated in the 79th minute, when senior forward Isobel Glass scored to bring the game level once again. 

After the Quakers were the ones putting on the pressure for nearly the entire half, the momentum shifted back to Yale in the game’s final 10 minutes. But Penn’s defense held firm, resisting chances and clearing away dangerous balls. A high point for the back line came with just a few minutes left when the Bulldogs forced a pair of corner kicks. However, the Quakers stood strong and were able to force the game to end in a tie. 

Now, after two match days, Penn is in sixth in the Ivy League standings, while Yale drops to third. The Quakers’ next will be crucial, as they travel to the Garden State to face rivals Princeton, who are also currently atop the conference table. The game is at 6 p.m. Wednesday and will be televised on ESPN+.