wsoccer-sizzy-lawton

Freshman Sizzy Lawton scored the only goal of Penn women's soccers victory over Dartmouth.

Credit: Alexa Cotler

Another day, another tie.

The Quakers traveled to Hanover, N.H. to take on the Big Green, looking not only for a win but also a chance to push forward for an Ivy League tournament bid. With a 0-0 draw, Penn (1-7-6, 0-2-3 Ivy) was able to add one point to its hunt.

Both the Red and Blue and the Big Green (6-5-3, 0-3-2) struggled to orient themselves at the start of the first half. Connectivity seemed to be an issue with both teams, taking time to test out the waters on what was an uncharacteristically sunny October afternoon.

However with 15 minutes left in the first half, the Quakers seemed to find their footing first with sophomore forward Abbey Cook taking an impressive attempt at net. Although her shot strangely bounced off two posts, it was the first sign of Quaker aggression.

“We defended for good stretches of time,” coach Krissy Turner said. “We did a very good job of minimizing their dangerous opportunities.”

Dartmouth came out to play from the start with two attempts at the net within the first two minutes. However its aggression was no match for the powerhouse in goal junior keeper Annabel Austen.

“She’s very confident and her teammates are equally confident in her,” Turner said. “She makes the save she’s supposed to make but also the saves that require her to go above and beyond.”

Just this past week Austen earned an Ivy League weekly honor after saving 10 out of 11 shots against Princeton on Oct. 9. Her athleticism was on full display in the first half, blocking over ten shots in just the first 45 minutes.

Ultimately, the first half was a match of keepers with both Austen and Emily Hardy, the Big Green’s goalie, drawing on their experience. Both goalies were essential to keeping their respective teams in the game with the first half ending 0-0. 

With both teams looking for a win to help claim the fourth spot in the Ivy League playoffs, much of the second half was played with a down-one mentality. So, the last 45 minutes was a test of patience with both the Quakers and the Big Green trying to find a balance between forcing opportunity and finding it.

The Quakers erred on the side finding opportunity, playing a mostly defensive game. Although Dartmouth forwards made many attempts to move the ball upfield, Penn was able to clear many of these plays.

“If you look at our team from the early parts of the season to now, we’re defending really well,” Turner said.

Near the end of the second half, the Red and Blue did have two good attempts at the net by freshman forward Lily White and freshman midfielder Mila Maltby, but both went wide.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the game came down to a questionable buzzer beater by Dartmouth forward Daisy Granholm. The fifth year’s shot found the back of the net however confusion arose on the shot’s timing. Ultimately, it was decided that the shot landed after the shot clock ran out, denying the Big Green its chance at a buzzer-beater and keeping the final score at 0-0.

With the tie, Penn currently sits at 0-2-3 for Ivy play and is still fighting for a spot in the Ivy League Playoffs. The Quakers have two games left to do so. 

Next weekend the Quakers will take on Harvard at home on Rhodes Field, followed by Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y. on Nov. 2.