09-20-23-huntsman-hall-abhiram-juvvadi
The entrance of Jon M. Huntsman Hall of the Wharton School on Sept. 20, 2023. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

The Wharton School will be hosting three panels in upcoming months as part of its "Policies That Work" series, designed to contribute to the national dialogue surrounding key economic and policy issues. 

According to its website, the three panels featured in the series will be "Federal Debt, Trade Policies, and the Future of the U.S. Economy" on Oct. 23, "AI, Technology, and the Role of Regulation" on Nov. 18, and "Real Estate, Interest Rates, and the Shifting American Dream" on Dec. 4. 

The panels will feature experts from across Wharton’s research centers, including the Zell/Lurie Real Estate Center, AI at Wharton, and the Penn Wharton Budget Model — which was recently mentioned during the Sept. 10 presidential debate and Oct. 1 vice presidential debate

Senior Vice Dean of Research, Centers, and Academic Initiatives at Wharton Joao Gomes said that the idea behind the series was spurred by the upcoming November elections and the desire to provide a platform for evidence-based discussions on policy issues. 

“Our three panels will focus on topics we anticipate will be central to the agenda of the next administration. These are areas where our school has developed tremendous expertise, backed by years of rigorous research and thought leadership,” Gomes said. 

Gomes hopes that the series will influence not only public policy, but also academic discussions on the effectiveness of certain policies over others, drawing on data and evidence about effective policies and which ideas are "often misguided."

Wharton senior Richa Kumar said she is excited for the artificial intelligence panel to discuss balancing innovation with ethical concerns at AI’s rapid advancement.

“With AI affecting everything from the job market to privacy, I’m curious to hear how policymakers and tech leaders plan to address these challenges, especially as we think about entering industries that will be shaped by these technologies,” Kumar said.

Wharton sophomore May Zhang said she was interested in the intersection of specialized research centers.

“By combining these research centers, Wharton is creating a compelling series of panels that will be both engaging and highly informative for students,” Zhang said. 

Gomes added that he hopes the series will demonstrate common ground on the topics discussed. 

"Despite diverse backgrounds and political perspectives, our discussions will showcase the shared values and insights that can inform sound policymaking and foster constructive dialogue,” Gomes said.