10-19-24-arch-vandalism-abhiram-juvvadi

The signs outside the ARCH and the Annenberg Public Policy Center were vandalized on Oct. 19.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Penn is investigating the vandalism of at least three signs on campus, which were graffitied with text reading “SINWAR LIVES” and an upside-down triangle over the weekend.

Two of the vandalized signs were located at the ARCH building and Annenberg Public Policy Center, according to pictures obtained by The Daily Pennsylvanian. A third was on the 3900 block of Walnut Street — near Penn Hillel — according to Penn’s Division of Public Safety.

Yahya Sinwar, the former leader of Hamas, was killed in Gaza by the Israeli military on Oct. 16. Sinwar played a central role in the planning of the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel, during which Hamas killed approximately 1,200 individuals and took another 250 hostage.

The upside-down triangle, which is typically red in color, has previously been documented in use for a number of notable purposes as a symbol. It has been used by the pro-Palestinian movement to represent solidarity with Palestinians, by the military wing of Hamas to identify targets, and historically by the Nazis to mark political prisoners during World War II.

A DPS spokesperson wrote in a statement to the DP that it received a report of graffiti on signage on Oct. 19 on the 200 block of South 36th Street and the 3600 block of Locust Walk — areas corresponding to ARCH and the Annenberg Public Policy Center — and a report on Oct. 20 of graffiti on signage on the 3900 block of Walnut Street.

“Upon discovery, DPS followed standard procedures and notified facilities to initiate clean up,” the spokesperson wrote.

A University spokesperson wrote in a statement to the DP that Penn is investigating the incident.

“The vile language in the graffiti is inconsistent with Penn's values,” the spokesperson wrote. “If campus policies were violated by a member of our community, consequences for the perpetrator(s) will be pursued.”

The DP was unable to confirm the identity of the individuals who vandalized the three signs.

In a statement to the DP, the Penn Israel Public Affairs Committee attributed the beginning of the war to Sinwar's “planning and execution” of the Oct. 7, 2023 attacks, describing them as “the largest attack on Jews since the holocaust.”

“Anyone who glorifies Sinwar and his terrorism is anti-peace, anti-American, and antisemitic. There is no place for this at Penn,” PIPAC wrote. “We hope that soon, Hamas finally surrenders and releases the hostages they are still holding captive in Gaza.”

Wharton and Engineering senior Noah Rubin also wrote to the DP that “students and professors who believe that Sinwar was a hero have no place at our university.”

“He devised the October 7th massacres — gave the orders to rape women in front of their children, burn families alive, and take babies hostage,” Rubin wrote.