09-22-23-sprint-football-vs-cornell-josh-johnson-chenyao-liu
Freshman defensive back Josh Johnson of Penn sprint football during the game against Cornell on Sept. 22. Credit: Chenyao Liu

In the words of former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua, “The first time was so nice, I had to do it twice.”

Two Penn athletes showcased their hungry drive to win this past week and picked up awards in the process. Notably, junior goalkeeper Annabel Austen of Penn women’s soccer won the Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week honor for the second straight week after keeping a hard-fought clean sheet in an away game at Dartmouth. On the other side of the ball, Penn sprint football senior running back Tom Rebstock took home the Collegiate Sprint Football League Offensive Player of the Week award on the back of his four-touchdown display.

Austen was called early on by her team during Penn women’s soccer’s away game in Hanover, N.H. and needed to make six big first-half saves. The Quakers held the Big Green to a 0-0 draw, keeping defensive solidity but failing to score for the second straight week. After earning her first-ever honor with the Red and Blue following a home draw against Brown, Austen stepped up yet again against an Ancient Eight rival. The junior keeper has strung together a consistent run of form, solidifying herself as a capable starter following the departure of All-Ivy goalkeeper Laurence Gladu.

With only two conference games left in the season, Penn will look to make the most out of matches against Harvard and Cornell. Austen will look to continue leading the backline in an effort to secure another consecutive clean sheet.

Penn sprint football also enjoyed a shutout defensive performance, but the offense shined just as bright. Rebstock led the Quakers with four rushing touchdowns and 122 yards on the ground in the team’s 49-0 blowout win against Molloy at Franklin Field. It was the senior‘s first weekly honor and the Quakers’ fourth consecutive win, as well as their third shutout of the season.

Rebstock faces competition in Penn’s backfield, often splitting carries with sophomore running back JT Goodman and freshman quarterback Michael Malone. If this outing can ignite a hot streak for Rebstock, the Quakers will be difficult to beat down the season’s final stretch.