police-cars-locust-walk-julio-sosa
Penn Police executed a search warrant on Oct. 18 at an off-campus house that pro-Palestinian activists allege belongs to student activists at the University. Credit: Julio Sosa

Readers with more information about this story are encouraged to contact newstip@thedp.com or submit a confidential tip.

The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office said it had "no role" in Penn's execution of a search warrant on a property near campus allegedly housing pro-Palestinian activists, while two local politicians expressed concern over the search.

The raid occurred on Friday morning and was made public on social media Monday evening by Penn Students Against the Occupation of Palestine and confirmed by the University's Division of Public Safety, which said police officers searched an "off-campus location" on Oct. 18. The University's warrant was executed "following all proper policies and procedures," reviewed by the DA's office and approved by a bail commissioner, a DPS spokesperson wrote to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

A spokesperson for the DA's office confirmed to the DP that it had “reviewed and approved a search warrant for a location in West Philadelphia” on Oct. 16 in connection with an "ongoing investigation" led by Penn Police and DPS.

“No request to approve charges has been submitted by Penn Police to our office at this time,” the spokesperson wrote. “If and when that time arrives, we will carefully review the evidence submitted by the appropriate law enforcement authorities and make a fair and just determination.”

PAO’s post alleged that 12 Penn Police officers and one Philadelphia Police officer “stormed the house in full tactical gear” after pointing a gun at a neighbor and threatening to break down the door, and “point[ed] rifles and handguns” at residents’ heads as they exited their rooms. PAO said one student was taken in for questioning and saw their personal device seized "on suspicion of vandalism."

The DP was unable to confirm these details about the execution of the search.

The University's execution of the warrant has sparked criticism from local politicians and pro-Palestinian groups across the greater Philadelphia area, with some accusing the University of an unnecessarily heavy-handed approach. Details about the circumstances of the search warrant remain sparse, including the root cause of the University's investigation. 

2013 Engineering graduate and Pennsylvania state Rep. Rick Krajewski (D-Philadelphia) said in a statement on X that he “was horrified to learn” of the Friday morning raid, which he confirmed took place in the Spruce Hill neighborhood of West Philadelphia, adjacent to the University's campus. 

“It is completely unacceptable and disturbing that a dozen officers armed with tactical gear and assault rifles threatened the safety of unarmed young people who are not only students, but our neighbors,” he wrote. 

Krajewski added that he “take[s] the threat of escalation incredibly seriously” and that his office “is in close communication” with those involved and will continue to monitor the situation.

A spokesperson for Philadelphia City Councilmember Jamie Gauthier wrote in a statement that his office is “seriously concerned” by the “extreme manner in which” the search warrant was executed. 

“From the start of this situation, Councilmember Gauthier has urged every party to de-escalate when possible,” he wrote. “This action seems counter to this goal.”  

Several chapters of the national organizing group Students for Justice in Palestine at Philadelphia-area schools expressed solidarity with PAO following news of the raid.

The Drexel Palestine Coalition condemned the raid in an Instagram post, writing that “the university’s use of militarized force and intimidation tactics … is an outrageous violation of civil liberties.” 

“We condemn the cowardly actions of the University of Pennsylvania in issuing police raids against pro-Palestine student organizers,” the Temple University chapter of SJP wrote in an Instagram post. “This action represents the most outrageous escalation by the University of Pennsylvania in its draconian campaign of violent censorship … it is a clear intimidation tactic against those who actively call out its active role in the Gaza genocide.” 

Swarthmore College’s SJP chapter wrote in an Instagram statement that they condemn Penn “for its abhorrent acts of violence and repression against student organizers advocating for Palestinian liberation.”

Penn’s “calculated acts of repression — pointing guns at students, raiding homes — are meant to instill fear, make us question our safety, and push us into silence,” the group wrote. “However, Penn Against the Occupation will rise.” 

Villanova University’s chapter of SJP wrote in a statement that the “escalation by Penn Police is a gross misuse of power,” adding that the group “stand[s] in steadfast support of the residents of the home and reaffirm our convictions to not crumble under the intimidation tactics put forth by institutions such as the University of Pennsylvania.” 

Staff reporter Ethan Young contributed reporting.

Editor’s note: The headline of this article has been updated to clarify the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office’s statement.