10-06-24-governors-rally-uma-mukhopadhyay

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro speaks at a Harris-Walz rally in Philadelphia on Oct. 6.

Five Democratic governors and Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker rallied in support of presidential candidate Kamala Harris at an Oct. 6 rally at the Laborers’ District Council training center in Philadelphia. 

Governors Josh Shapiro (D-Pa.), Phil Murphy (D-N.J.), Kathy Hochul (D-N.Y.), Maura Healey (D-Mass.), Wes Moore (D-Md.) and Parker spoke to an audience of approximately 200 people at the rally, which was organized by the Harris-Walz campaign. They addressed issues such as the importance of voter turnout this election and the role that Pennsylvania will play in deciding the 2024 presidential election. 

The majority of the audience consisted of union and social workers from Philadelphia. 

Hochul told the crowd that she feels “pretty good” about the election, calling on the audience to persuade both their friends and strangers to vote. 

“We know what an awesome woman Harris is,” she said. “Trump is a fraud and a felon. And we will not take our rights for granted.”

Murphy echoed a similar sentiment, calling on Philadelphia to “turn out like it’s never turned out before.”

He further explained that early voting is an option for Pennsylvania residents and emphasized that people don’t have to wait until election day on Nov. 5 to cast their ballot. 

Healey recounted her experiences working with Harris in her speech, asserting that Harris has “always been for the people” while Trump has “always been for himself.”

“I served with [Harris] as Attorney General; she was the one who took on the predators and the scammers — those bringing guns and drugs into our country,” she said.

Healey also said that women’s rights, including the right to an abortion, are on the line with this election. She asserted that the government should not be involved in any women’s decisions about their bodies. 

“Donald Trump will go after providers and patients of women’s healthcare. Just look at Project 2025; he wants to restrict contraception,” she said. “So much is at risk. Because when they go after any right, they can go after all rights.”

Moore recalled a lesson he learned in the army, that “nothing is given, everything is earned.”

“This election has to be earned,” he added. “It becomes a question of whose knuckles will be raw come election day. But this country and future are worth fighting for.” 

Shapiro underscored this message with a reference to Penn’s founder Benjamin Franklin.

“Our ancestors are calling us to act. Ben Franklin said: ‘We live in a republic — if you can keep it,’” Shapiro said. He emphasized that living in a democratic republic requires effort and action on part of the citizens. 

“So when you go to vote, take that pen and write that next chapter of American history,” he concluded. 

Leah Scherzer, a doctor who attended the rally, told The Daily Pennsylvanian that as a woman, she “can’t live in a world where Trump is president.”

“And as a doctor, I can’t live in a world where what state you live in decides whether you live or die, such as in the case of a miscarriage or dangerous pregnancy,” she added.

Myra Andrews and Jane Simmons, union workers who attended, echoed similar sentiments. They added that women’s rights and health care, Social Security, and the economy are the most important issues on the line. 

“The Biden administration has done an excellent job,” Andrews said. “The U.S. has come out stronger than any other country after the pandemic.”