10-21-24-ochatto-abhiram-juvvadi-01
Ochatto was forced to cease operations after receiving a notice regarding numerous health code violations on Oct. 21. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Ochatto Hand Drawn Noodles, Japanese Cuisine, and Bubble Tea was ordered to cease operations by the City of Philadelphia's Health Department on Oct. 21 following numerous health code violations. 

Ochatto — which is located on Chestnut Street and is a popular BYO spot for Penn students — has been ordered to temporarily close until corrective actions are taken, according to a notice posted on the door of the establishment. The restaurant accumulated a total of nine violations of the Philadelphia Health Code, according to an inspection report available on the Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s website.

The notice stated that all operations at the establishment had to stop immediately, with occupants required to vacate the premises by 2:00 p.m. on Oct. 21. Anyone found occupying the restaurant after that time, except those addressing the violations, would be in violation of the order and subject to arrest, according to the notice.

Violations included blocked hand washing sinks, a failure to provide parasite destruction records for sushi-grade fish, and evidence of pests throughout the establishment’s facility, according to the inspection report. The report specifically noted the presence of live roaches, a dead mouse, and drain flies in various food prep areas, with mouse droppings and debris found throughout the restaurant.

The Department of Health has mandated that Ochatto correct the violations and undergo a reinspection before resuming operations. According to the notice, the restaurant is required to close for a minimum of 48 hours and pay a reinspection fee. The establishment has the option to appeal the closure within 10 days.

Ochatto’s management did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

Greek Lady, another popular restaurant near Penn’s campus, was also shut down by the Department of Health on Oct. 16 due to 19 health code violations, including improper food date marking, inadequate sanitation, and lack of a valid food license.