institutional-advancement-leader-and-penn-alumna-katie-murtha-appointed-as-penn-museum-s-senior-director-of-development-photo-quinn-russell-brown-for-the-penn-museum
Katie Murtha was appointed as the Senior Director of Development for the Penn Museum (Photo from Penn Museum).

1998 College graduate Katie Murtha has been appointed as the senior director of development for the Penn Museum starting Sept. 16, according to a press release from the museum. 

Murtha previously worked as the senior director of principal and major gifts at the Juilliard School. In her new role at the Penn Museum, she will focus on planning and executing the museum’s fundraising and alumni relations program.

At Juilliard, Murtha's work boasted many successes, including securing a $50 million grant to address inequalities in the accessibility of music education. She previously served as deputy director of the Patron Program at the Metropolitan Opera, director for the Corporate Council for the San Diego Opera, and human resources manager for Project H.O.M.E.

Murtha’s role will specifically include building support for ongoing work on the "Ancient Egypt and Nubia" galleries, the most extensive construction project in the museum's history. Renovations on the 14,000-square-foot space began in 2023 and are tentatively set to conclude in 2026. 

The Penn Museum's development department was previously led by Amanda Mitchell-Boyask, who currently serves as its deputy director and chief of staff. 

Murtha graduated from Penn in 1998 with a bachelor’s degree in communication. She returns to Penn after a career with various organizations focused on arts and culture.

"Katie has a long history of working with arts and educational institutions that put culture at the service of the community, making her a perfect fit for the museum," Christopher Woods, the Williams Director of the Penn Museum and Avalon Professor in the Humanities, wrote in the announcement. 

"I am so excited to be back at Penn and to apply my experience in helping advance the Penn Museum’s mission as a center of creative inquiry and the ongoing exploration of our shared humanity," Murtha said in the press release. "I look forward to working with Chris, the museum, and university colleagues, the Board, and alumni of all generations, backgrounds, and nations to strengthen support for this world-class institution."