09-07-19-mens-cross-country-fordham-fiasco-chase-sutton
The Penn men's cross country team competes in the Fordham Fiasco/Ed Joyce Memorial meet in Van Cortlandt Park on Sept. 7, 2019. Credit: Chase Sutton

What was the difference between Penn men’s and women’s cross country teams this weekend? Two kilometers, five competitors, and seven places. 

Both teams competed in the Princeton Fall Classic on Oct. 18 at the Meadows Campus course. The women’s 6K team placed 14th out of 22 teams with a total score of 396 while the men’s 8K team placed seventh out of 22 with a total score of 221. 

For the women's side, senior Miranda Schriver finished with a time of 20:55.7 in 62th, beating her season best set at the Paul Short Run two weeks ago by 6.8 seconds. She was followed by freshman L’Mio Edwards two seconds later in 75th place. 

Like Troy Bolton of "High School Musical," 14 seems to be the team’s lucky number. In its last meet, the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., which took place on Oct. 5, the women's team also placed 14th — this time out of 42 — with a total of 446 points. 

For the men's side, senior Dylan Throop led the Quakers with a time of 22:50.9 and a fifth-place finish, beating his previous time by over 40 seconds.

Fellow senior Luke Johnson wasn’t far behind with a time of 23:07.1 and a 10th-place finish. The men's team's placement was an improvement from their performance at Paul Short, where it placed 10th out of 44 teams. 

Both teams will compete next at the Haverford Invitational Oct. 25. The women will run a 5K and the men will run four miles. Another local race and less travel time set both teams up well to once again shave time off of their results.