10-23-23-lauder-center-ethan-young
The Lauder Institute of Management and International Studies is located at 256 South 37th Street. Credit: Ethan Young

The Joseph H. Lauder Institute for Management and International Studies issued a statement of neutrality in the wake of the University's new policies limiting institutional comment on current political events. 

The Lauder Institute wrote in the statement that its "agents of constructive discourse and critical analytical thinking" are "individual community members," explaining that the organization is a “hosting entity for these agents" but does "not act as the critic itself." 

The Lauder Institute declined The Daily Pennsylvanian's request for comment. 

Representatives and administrators of the Lauder Institute will “abstain from opining on societal and political events,” unless there is an exceptional case which poses a danger to the “very mission of the Institute and its values of free inquiry," according to the statement. 

"Institutional neutrality is vital to foster a sense of inclusion among all community members," the statement read. "Official statements on societal and political events inevitably alienate individuals within the community who hold differing opinions from the communicated institutional perspective or who, in their research efforts, wish to reexamine common orthodoxies."

Founded in 1983 as part of the Wharton School, the Lauder Institute offers a joint degree program combining a master's degree in International Studies from the College of Arts and Sciences and either a MBA from Wharton or JD from Penn Carey Law. 

In June, the Lauder Institute saw a change in management after Dr. Felix Zandman Professor in International Management Martine Haas announced she was stepping down from the role last spring. Wharton professor Jules van Binsbergen was appointed the new Anthony L. Davis Director of the Lauder Institute. 

The Institute’s statement follows the University’s statement ‘Upholding Academic Independence’ published by Interim Penn President Larry Jameson on September 10th, which limits official University statements on current or political events. The Lauder Institute also.

Jameson wrote in the announcement that University leaders will no longer issue public statements on local or global events that do not have a direct impact on Penn, claiming that the new policies aim to protect the “diversity of thought” central to Penn’s mission. The shift to the new policy, which Jameson told The Daily Pennsylvanian was initiated several years ago, will limit the University’s role in commenting on controversial issues which do not directly relate to it.

In interviews with the DP, Penn community members expressed support for the new policy, but some shared concerns about Penn’s ability to commit to the new policy.