11-05-21-locust-walk-jesse-zhang
Penn is looking to hire a project manager to oversee the implementation of recommendations from the University Task Force on Antisemitism and the Presidential Commission on Countering Hate and Building Community. Credit: Jesse Zhang

Penn is looking to hire a project manager to oversee the implementation of recommendations from the antisemitism task force and presidential commission.

The new project manager will be responsible for implementing the recommendations of the University Task Force on Antisemitism and the Presidential Commission on Countering Hate and Building Community, according to the job listing. The position will also support the Penn Libraries' involvement in celebrations related to the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia. The position has a limited term and is set to end in August 2026.

The University Task Force on Antisemitism and the Presidential Commission on Countering Hate and Building Community were formed by former Penn President Liz Magill as part of a University-wide action plan to combat antisemitism following significant backlash to alleged antisemitism on campus last fall. Both groups submitted their findings to Interim Penn President Larry Jameson over the summer. 

The findings called for Penn to improve campus dialogue, clarify the University’s values, and support cultural groups on campus. According to the job listing, the project manager will work with the heads of Penn’s different schools, the University Center, and the Deputy Provost Office to implement these findings. 

“The creation of this position is another indicator of Penn’s commitment to these important reports,”  Deputy Provost and Vice Chair of the Antisemitism Task Force Beth Winkelstein wrote in a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian.  “[The position] will be helpful in ensuring we continue to keep those efforts front-and-center.” 

The project manager will also assist with Penn’s efforts to coordinate America250, the nationwide initiative to commemorate and celebrate the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Penn Libraries has taken a leading role in organizing Penn’s involvement in this initiative, and the new project manager will help support these efforts.

“Penn has been working with partners across the city and the country on planning events for this anniversary, which is intertwined with our own history as a university anchored in Philadelphia," Winkelstein wrote.

The new project manager will serve as the primary liaison between Penn and America250 partners. This includes local cultural and historical institutions in Philadelphia such as the Museum of the American Revolution, the American Philosophical Society, and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania – as well as Penn institutions such as the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts

Winkelstein also wrote that the position demonstrates the University's commitment to the In Principle and Practice strategic framework, which Magill announced the formation of in November 2023. Earlier this month, Jameson announced a $2 million grant initiative to fund interdisciplinary projects as part of the strategic framework. 

Winkelstein said that the University hopes to fill the role by the end of the semester.