10-07-06-football-v-bucknell-fred-david
The Daily Pennsylvanian Sports Department made score predictions for Penn's home football game against Bucknell. Credit: Fred David

Penn 27, Bucknell 21 — Brian Barth (1-0), Sports Reporter

Coming off a low-scoring loss last weekend in Hanover, N.H., the Quakers cross back west of the Schuylkill for a bout with Bucknell. The Bison had a thriller in their last outing, ending regulation tied with Lehigh at 28 apiece. After trading touchdowns in the first overtime, linebacker Gavin Willis recovered a Mountain Hawk fumble — his second recovery of the game. The Bison would go on to win 38-35 in double overtime. 

Quaker sophmore running back Malachi Hosley will enter Saturday No. 5 in the FCS in rushing yards per game with 129.7 yards, while Bucknell ranks just No. 107 in rushing defense. The Bison are also No. 107 in red zone offense, while Penn is No. 10 in red zone defense. All signs point to the Quakers taking the win.

Penn 27, Bucknell 13 — Justin Lee, Sports Reporter

Despite the loss to Dartmouth, Penn football is off to a good start since its win against Colgate. Though the Quakers are 1-2 overall compared to Bucknell's 3-2, I believe their offense will deliver a strong showing against a Bucknell defense that gave up 437 yards in their loss to Navy. I’m backing Hosley and his ability to score touchdowns for Penn’s offense. I think Penn’s defense will keep its momentum throughout and that senior quarterback Aidan Sayin will maintain a firm lead for Penn, giving the Red and Blue another win at Franklin Field.

Penn 24, Bucknell 17 — Derek Wong, Video Editor

Last year, the Quakers decisively won against the Bison with a healthy margin of 16 points. This year, the Quakers might not be that lucky. While the Penn offense has been better polished as a unit, the team appears to be still adjusting to its recalibrations. Losses against Delaware and Dartmouth, while not fatal, exemplified that there’s still some tightening up left for the team. The Bison are also on a hot streak, racking up back-to-back wins prior to this Saturday’s matchup. However, Sayin's ball security — he's recorded zero turnovers in two straight games — seems to indicate that he is more in sync with his wide receivers compared to last season, and the odds are still in the Quakers’ favor; they all just have to keep their eyes on the ball.

Penn 31, Bucknell 28 — Vivian Yao, Sports Editor

In last year's matchup against Bucknell, then-sophomore wide receiver Jared Richardson had his breakout game, finishing with 139 yards and two touchdowns. Coming off a season low of 18 receiving yards against Dartmouth, expect to see Richardson once again light up the Bison defense. 

However, this game could also be much tighter than some of Penn's previous past matchups against Bucknell, as the emergence of wide receiver TJ Cadden as a bona fide special teams threat — in addition to a trustworthy wide receiver for veteran quarterback Ralph Rucker IV — adds another dimension to the Bison offense. Penn has dominated the all-time series for a reason, though, and I expect the Sayin-led offense to turn things around after a poor showing in Hanover. It's bison hunting season, and the Quakers will be more than eager to pounce.