img-8446
Credit: Dana Bahng

As an international student, I’ve had my share of moments when saying yes felt terrifying. Deciding to come to the U.S. for college was one of them. I had built up so many worries about moving away from home, stepping into an environment where everything was unfamiliar. The thought of leaving behind what I knew for the unknown was overwhelming.

Yet, despite the fear, I said yes. Yes to the adventure. Yes to the uncertainty. And that yes changed my life in ways I could never have predicted. Coming to the United States opened up a world of experiences and friendships that have shaped who I am. I have met people from all different backgrounds, each of them adding a new perspective to my own. The things I was initially scared of are now what I cherish most. 

My experiences at Penn are ones I never thought I would have. And I have found myself always navigating toward some level of novelty, which has made me excited for the unknown. Had I let my fear win, I would have missed out on what has become one of the happiest periods of my life. 

Since coming to Penn, my life has been nothing but saying yes to things that weren’t always in my plans. 

If you had told me a few years ago that I would be in a sorority, I would have laughed in disbelief. I’ve never really seen myself as the “sorority type,” whatever that means. Sororities came with so many preconceived notions in my mind — images of cliques, overly organized social events, and an identity that I thought would clash with mine. But I was wrong. 

When the opportunity came to rush, my instinct was to say no. I wasn’t sure I would belong, and the idea of putting myself out there felt uncomfortable. But something inside me (and a very persistent first-year roommate) pushed me to say yes. And that yes led me to some of the best people I have ever met. 

I’m surrounded by a group of women who have become my closest friends. They aren’t the stereotypes I had in mind — they are diverse, genuine, and supportive in ways I never expected. I went into this experience thinking I might not belong, but what I found was a community that not only accepted me but made me a better version of myself. It was one of the best surprises of my college experience, and it all started with a hesitant "yes." 

And now, once again, I find myself standing at another opportunity filled with  uncertainty. In just a few months, I will be leaving the U.S. for a semester abroad in London. I can’t say I’m not scared. I am. The doubts I had about coming to the U.S. have resurfaced, but this time I have something I didn’t before — proof that saying yes can lead to incredible things. London represents another step into the unknown, but I know that whatever awaits me there will be worth it. 

Studying abroad isn’t just about ticking off a box on my academic resume. It’s about growth, exploration, and the opportunity to live in a new culture. It’s about learning how to adapt and thrive in environments that challenge my understanding of the world and my place in it. It’s a chance to once again say yes, even if I don’t fully know what will come of it. 

Reflecting on these moments, I’ve realized something important: saying yes isn’t about getting rid of fear. It’s about pushing through it. It’s about trusting that there’s something on the other side of that uncertainty that will make you grow in ways you didn’t anticipate. Every time I’ve said yes to something that scared me, I’ve found unexpected happiness, friendships, and experiences that have enriched my life beyond what I could have planned. 

For anyone reading this who might be standing at the edge of something new — whether it's joining a club, applying for an internship, deciding to study abroad, or even just saying hello to someone you don’t know — my advice is simple: say yes. The best things in life often happen when we step out of our comfort zones and embrace the unknown. You might not always know where it will lead, but that’s the beauty of it. The surprises waiting on the other side are often worth the risk. 

Of course, saying yes doesn’t always lead to perfect outcomes. There will be times when things don’t go as planned or when you find yourself in situations that are overwhelming or uncomfortable. But that’s part of the process, too. Even when a yes feels like a misstep, it offers valuable lessons. The moments when things don’t go as planned are just as important as the victories. Saying yes isn’t about ensuring every outcome is flawless — it’s about knowing that every step, success or not, brings you closer to who you’re becoming. 

Saying yes has made me the person I am today, and I have never liked myself more. I’m excited to see where the next yes will take me. 

ZARA TENA is a College junior studying political science from Puebla, Mexico. Her email is zaratena@sas.upenn.edu.