On Tuesday evening, across Philadelphia, people gathered to watch the first presidential debate between Vice President Kamala Harris and former President and 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump. From the on-campus watch parties to the debate spin room, see how The Daily Pennsylvanian photographers captured a night filled with anticipation, excitement, and emotion.   

THE SPIN ROOM, PHILADELPHIA CONVENTION CENTER

No audience and limited media cameras were permitted at the National Constitution Center, which was the location of the event. Due to this, a media filing center and spin room were set up at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.   

In the spin room, politicians, big-name supporters, and party staff could be seen wielding questions from the press. Adjacent to the spin room was a hall in which journalists from across the country were seated, watching the debates on six projector screens in the hall.   

Among those that came out to the spin room included Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA), Gov. Roy Cooper (D-NC), Gov. Doug Burgum (R-ND), and former Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy. Sen. J.D. Vance (R-OH), Trump’s running mate, was seen answering questions after the debate had concluded. The former president also made a surprise appearance after the conclusion of the debate.   

INDEPENDENCE MALL

Around 6:00 p.m., protesters supporting various candidates and causes, including a notable presence of pro-Israel supporters, began gathering at Independence Mall, the nearest permitted location with a direct view of the National Constitution Center. Among the crowd were also individuals who had come to watch the debate taking place inside the facility.   

Prior to and throughout the duration of the presidential debate, people of opposing viewpoints engaged in their own heated debates at the mall, many of them ending in yelling, and in some instances, police stepping in to de-escalate the situation. By around 10:30 p.m., most civilians had left the area, and it became a meeting point for police to regroup.   

CITY HALL

A few hours before the debate started, pro-Palestinian demonstrators began to gather at City Hall. From around 7:00 to 10:00 p.m., hundreds of protesters marched through the streets of Philadelphia, rallying around the National Constitution Center while the presidential debate took place inside.   

Organized by the Philly Palestine Coalition, a group involved with the Gaza Solidarity Encampment on Penn’s campus last spring, the protest featured multiple speakers. Many criticized Harris and Trump for their positions on the Israel-Hamas war, chanting “come November, we’ll remember.”    

At around 9:45 p.m., protesters began a sit-in at the intersection of 4th and Market streets. An individual lit a flare on fire and was quickly arrested by Philadelphia Police officers, including officers in riot gear, who responded with bicycles and billy clubs. Protesters, legal observers, and members of the press were briefly caught in a period of tension, before organizers called for everyone to disperse.    

CHERRY STREET PIER

At Cherry Street Pier, the Harris-Walz campaign held an official watch party, inviting hundreds of local Harris supporters to a festive affair. Prominent Pennsylvanian politicians made an appearance, including former Philadelphia City Councilmember Helen Gym, Pennsylvania State Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-4), and Gov. Josh Shapiro (D-PA).   

Before the start of the debate, Shapiro hyped up the crowd of enthusiastic supporters before rushing to the Constitution Center’s spin room. The crowd enjoyed light refreshments and lined up for freshly-pressed shirts and tote bags as they awaited the highly-anticipated showdown.   

Throughout the night, the crowd cheered for Harris, most notably when she made a stand for abortion rights. Similarly, loud groans emanated in the room when President Trump made his infamous cats and dogs remarks. As the night continued, the audience attentively watched with an air of excitement and enthusiasm not felt in the Biden vs. Trump showdown three months ago.   

Credit: Derek Wong

By the end, Harris supporters rejoiced at a strong showing from the vice president, but the biggest surprise was yet to come. Democratic National Committee Chair Jaime Harrison teased the crowd about a special guest coming after the debate, and people began conglomerating near the podium. When the light came out to reveal the vice president and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff in the flesh, the crowd erupted. As Harris ignited the crowd, she stressed that the campaign is still the “underdog,” emphasizing that the crowd “gotta work tomorrow” to mobilize voters.   

UNIVERSITY CITY

Across campus, the debate entertained Penn students in many ways. Penn Democrats and Penn College Republicans hosted watch parties in Irvine Auditorium and Huntsman Hall. Debate watch parties were also hosted by the high rises, Lauder College House, Gregory, College House and Du Bois College House. The Communications Department also set up a watch party with refreshments in the Annenberg Center.   

Penn students had animated reactions to the debate. Both candidates mentioned the Wharton School less than 10 minutes into the debate, resulting in cheers and clapping from attendees at the Rodin watch party. Commotion was common during parts of the debate, with the audience reacting to topics surrounding abortion and climate change policy. College house directors and staff expressed surprise at the large turnout, as students partook in the civic tradition of watching the presidential debate.   

Credit: Nathaniel Babitts

From the debate spin room to the Smokey Joe’s debate viewing, the Penn and greater Philadelphia community was tuned in with all eyes and ears during this historic event — deciding who to cast their ballot for come the November election.