09-09-23-volleyball-vs-lafayette-anna-vazhaeparambil

Penn volleyball played at the Red Flash Classic in Saint Francis, PA on Sep. 6-7, 2024.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Penn women’s volleyball began its 2024 season at the Red Flash Classic hosted by Saint Francis over the weekend. 

While they suffered a tough 3-1 loss to Saint Francis on Friday, the Quakers showed resilience, bouncing back with two victories on Saturday.

On Friday, Penn (2-1) fell to Saint Francis (3-3) with set scores of 25-16, 29-27, 25-18, and 25-23. Despite the loss, sophomore outside hitter Zada Sanger led the team with 16 kills and a .262 hitting percentage. Freshman outside hitter Jenna Garner made a strong debut with 12 kills, while sophomore right-side hitter Bella Rittenberg contributed 11 kills and hit .280. Freshman setter Emery Moore, starting at setter for the first time, recorded 36 assists and eight digs. On defense, junior libero/defensive specialist Abigail Reid had 17 digs and freshman outside hitter Ellie Siskin added 15. 

The Quakers struggled to find their rhythm early in the match, falling behind 8-1 in the first set before eventually losing 25-16. Penn fought back in the second set, with Sanger and Rittenberg leading the way, but narrowly lost 29-27 in a hard-fought battle. The team found its form in the third set, winning 25-18 with key plays from Garner and Sanger, but the Red and Blue ultimately lost the match as Saint Francis took the fourth set 25-23.

Saturday was a different story. Penn staged a remarkable comeback against Siena (1-5), overcoming a two-set deficit to win 3-2. 

The set scores were 21-25, 22-25, 25-16, 25-22, and 17-15. Freshman middle blocker Adell Murray was a standout performer with 20 kills and five block assists, while Sanger added 14 kills and two block solos. Rittenberg also made significant contributions with 10 kills. Moore once again played a critical role with 38 assists and 14 digs, as the team came together to secure a thrilling victory.

Just an hour later, Penn continued its momentum, sweeping Mercyhurst (1-5) 3-0 with set scores of 25-10, 25-19, and 25-16. Rittenberg led the team with 13 kills and hit an impressive .688, while Sanger, Murray, and Siskin added to the offensive effort. The Quakers controlled the match from start to finish, using their strong blocking and service game to stifle Mercyhurst’s attack.

Throughout the tournament, Rittenberg and Murray were named to the All-Tournament Team for their outstanding performances. Rittenberg finished the weekend with 34 kills, hitting .348, while Murray totaled 33 kills and hit a team-best .453. Their contributions, along with strong defensive efforts and teamwork, were key to Penn’s success.

The Quakers' 2-1 record is their best to begin a season since 2021. They will be back in action on Tuesday at Coppin State, looking to build on their momentum before hosting the Sonesta Philadelphia Rittenhouse Square Penn Invitational next weekend at the Palestra.