09-30-23-womens-soccer-vs-yale-mallory-lucas-sydney-curran
Penn women's soccer tied against the University of Delaware on Sep. 5. Credit: Sydney Curran

In their fifth away game of the new school year, the Quakers were unable to clinch their first season win against the University of Delaware. The result: a 1-1 draw between the two teams, marking Penn’s second draw of the season.

The game began with high stakes as Paige Kenton, Delaware (1-4-2) defender and former Penn (0-3-2) student, aggressively fought her way across the grass field. Fortunately for the Quakers, Kenton sent her shot high and wide over the crossbar. In retaliation, sophomore forward Mia Fuss and freshman forward Lily White launched several attacks — but despite the best efforts of both teams to score, neither of their shot attempts found the back of the net. The first quarter ended in a 0-0 stalemate, riddled with missed opportunities and turnovers.

Delaware raised its offensive intensity in the second quarter. Although Kenton failed to connect on a pass that could have led to a clear shot, she redeemed herself after scoring a header 12 minutes into the quarter, assisted by Delaware midfielder Gabby Riley.

It was game on for Penn from then on. With senior defender Maya Leschly leading a solid defense, the team was able to focus on its offensive game, generating quality possessions and chances. Furthermore, junior goalkeeper Annabel Austen also took on a pivotal role in defense, making six of her seven saves in the second half of the game.

“I was proud of how we responded going down a goal,” coach Krissy Turner said.

As the clock wound down and scoring chances became scarce, it seemed that hope was dimming for Penn; both teams remained fiercely competitive, and neither was willing to concede. But in the 78th minute of the game, after almost 20 minutes of scoreless play, Penn finally broke through: senior forward Megan Lusher dribbled the ball into the net, scoring Penn’s first goal of the game.

With the score tied at 1-1, both teams tussled and made attempts to edge ahead — but time was ultimately the biggest antagonist. Neither team managed to take the lead by the end of the second quarter, with the match culminating in a draw.

This match concludes Penn’s series of five straight road games to begin the year as the team's next game was against Towson at Rhodes Field. 

“The group has so much potential," Turner said. "And playing at Rhodes Field should serve us well."