02-10-24-womens-basketball-v-princeton-caleb-crain

Sophomore guard Simone Sawyer looks to pass in a game against Princeton on Feb. 10.

Credit: Caleb Crain

Penn women’s basketball recently released their schedule for the 2024-25 season, so let’s unpack the season ahead for the Quakers.

Last year, Penn finished things off with an overall record of 15-13 and a record of 7-7 in the Ivy League. This season, they open the campaign with a home game against Merrimack on Nov. 8. Last year the Quakers beat Merrimack with a score of 71-62. This matchup is followed by an away game against Maine on Nov. 10, whom the Quakers also beat in a tight contest last year 72-69.

Later in November, the Quakers will start off their Big-5 slate with a home matchup against Saint Joseph’s on Nov. 15 and an away game against Villanova on Nov. 20. Then, on Dec. 6, the Red and Blue will play in the inaugural women’s Big 5 Classic, with their opponent determined by the results of the other pod action.

This year, the Red and Blue will also be appearing in the Homewood Suites Tournament, hosted by Florida Golf Coast University. At the tournament, Penn will get to face off against Chattanooga on Nov. 29 and Cal Baptist on Nov. 30. Chattanooga, a member of the Southern Conference, ended off their 2023-24 season with a record of 28-5. Similarly, Cal Baptist, a member of the Western Athletic Conference, ended theirs with a record of 28-4.

The Quakers will start off their Ivy-League slate with a home tilt against Columbia on Jan. 6, 2025. On Feb. 10, 2025 the Red and Blue will have a much-awaited rematch against Princeton, Penn’s bitter rival who ended the Quakers’ season last year in controversial fashion.

“[The] schedule presents a fantastic opportunity for our team to challenge ourselves against strong opposition,” coach Mike McLaughlin said of the release. “Every game is a chance to show our hard work and dedication, and I’m eager to see how we rise to the occasion.”