09-19-23-perry-world-house-gabriel-jung

Perry World House welcomed 15 faculty fellows for the 2024-2025 academic year.

Perry World House has announced its cohort of 15 faculty fellows for the 2024-2025 academic year, including many returning professors. 

This year, PWH welcomed fellows who represent six of Penn’s 12 schools and are experts in human rights, climate change, democracy, and security. The faculty members will conduct global policy research and engage with policymakers to address international challenges. 

The six new fellows this year include Amalia Daché, who is the Graduate School of Education’s first tenured, female, Latinx professor. She has conducted research projects on higher education access in the context of urban spaces such as Havana, Cuba; Cape Town, South Africa; and Philadelphia, and has won recognition from institutions such as the National Academy of Education. 

Other new fellows this year include assistant professor of Political Science Parish Berquist, Economics professor Alessandro Dovis, and Presidential Penn Compact Professor of Sociology Letícia Marteleto. Cinema and Media Studies professor Peter Decherney, who directs Penn's Global Documentary Institute, will also join this year's cohort. 

Matthijs Bouw is a professor of Practice in Landscape Architecture at Weitzman School of Design. He founded an Amsterdam based firm, One Architecture and Urbanism, that leads in the use of design for climate adaptation.

Among the nine returning fellows is Penn Carey Law School professor William Burke-White, who served as the law school's deputy dean and PWH's inaugural director from 2014 to 2019. Previously, he was a non-resident senior fellow in the Foreign Policy Program at the Brookings Institution. He has also served on the Secretary of State’s Policy Planning Staff in the Obama administration and has advised governments, investment funds, and law firms.  

Beth Simmons and Lynn Meskell are the 18th and 26th Penn Integrates Knowledge University Professors, respectively. The Penn Integrates Knowledge Program began as an effort to recruit interdisciplinary faculty members, and the title is only bestowed upon those with positions at two or more schools at Penn. 

Simmons is Professor of Law, Political Science and Business Ethics at Penn, and won the American Political Science Association's Woodrow Wilson Award for the best book published in the United States on government, politics, or international affairs. 

Meskell is an Anthropology professor and Professor in the Graduate Program in Historic Preservation. She is a curator at the Penn Museum for the Middle East and Asia sections, as well as an AD White Professor-at-Large at Cornell University. 

Michael Mann is a Presidential Distinguished Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Science at Penn and director of the Penn Center for Science, Sustainability, and the Media. He has won numerous awards related to his work in climate science and climate change, including selection by Scientific American as one of the 50 leading visionaries in science and technology, the Hans Oeschger Medal of the European Geophysical Union in 2012, and Bloomberg News’ “50 Most Influential” list in 2013.