01-30-23-penn-medicine-abhiram-juvvadi

Unionized resident physicians and fellows within Penn Medicine have reached a tentative union contract agreement.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Unionized resident physicians and fellows within Penn Medicine have reached a tentative union contract agreement with Penn Med after over a year of negotiations.

A ratification vote for the contract, which would go into effect for three years, began on Sept. 24 and will conclude on Sept. 30. If it is approved, Penn Med residents and fellows — who are represented by the Committee of Interns and Residents — will become the first doctors in Pennsylvania to secure a union contract.

“We are committed to helping facilitate voting in order to properly complete this process and will not comment further until the conclusion of the vote,” a Penn Med representative wrote in a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The agreement calls for a 24% to 28% increase in pay, out-of-title work protections, reimbursements for ride-hails after shifts, and expanded parental leave. According to a press release, the new benefits will “profoundly impact the lives [of residents and fellows] and their ability to provide exceptional care.”

Second-year family medicine resident and union organizer Jamal Moss told the DP that the contract comes after increased efforts from union members and the surrounding community. He added that the union has received support from 2013 Engineering graduate and state Rep. Rick Krajewski (D-Philadelphia), who sent a letter in support of the union, and the Philadelphia Council American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations, who also sent a letter.

The DP previously reported that bargaining between the union and the University was set to resume on Sept. 17 after a two-month delay between sessions. Moss said that when bargaining did resume, the contract agreement came together quickly. 

“We were really surprised with how far [their initial offer] went,” Moss said. “We were excited about that, and it was an overwhelming yes of moving forward with the process.”

Moss added that union members have “been more vocal” and shown their commitment to winning a fair contract in recent weeks.

The long-awaited agreement comes after two incidents between the union and Pennsylvania Hospital security in recent weeks.

On Aug. 27, hospital security shut down a lunchtime gathering at Pennsylvania Hospital intending to celebrate and support union members. On Aug. 30, the group attempted to deliver a petition to Penn Med CEO Kevin Mahoney, but no management representatives were present to receive the document. The union subsequently announced plans to file an unfair labor practice charge against Penn with the National Labor Relations Board. 

In order to be ratified, the contract requires a majority vote greater than 50%. The agreement is expected to go into effect immediately if ratification is successful. 

Despite the advancements, Moss expressed the need to continue advocating for improved working conditions. 

“There are things that still need to change, and we will continue to fight for residents to be at the table and make sure that we're included in future projects,” Moss said.