09-21-2024-penn-vs-delaware-football-sonali-chandy

Penn football played Delaware on Sept. 21.

Credit: Sonali Chandy

Penn 23, Colgate 13 — Brian Barth, Sports Reporter

Last year, these two programs squared off and no points were scored in the last 29 minutes of Penn’s 20-6 win. Coming off quite a thriller in Newark, Del., the Quakers will arrive at historic Franklin Field for their home opener against Colgate. Last week, Raiders quarterback Michael Brescia only threw one pass in the entire contest against Cornell. His 10 rushing attempts, including one touchdown, were enough to see his Raiders over the top in a 41-24 victory. I expect Penn to come out hot, but it will be sharp play between the tackles that will lead the Quakers to their first win. 

Penn 23, Colgate 24 — Caleb Crain, Former Sports Editor

Despite last week’s loss to Delaware, Penn football showed encouraging signs in its season opener. I expect a similar performance from the Quakers this week, but for this to also result in an unfortunate loss. Following an 0-2 start to the season, the Raiders have a two-game winning streak, and throttled Cornell 41-20 last weekend. In a thrilling, back-and-forth match for the first home football game of 2024, I see Colgate taking a lead late and holding on to victory. Even in a loss, though, I think both Penn’s offense and defense will have impact plays, and the Quakers will have plenty to hold their head high about before Ivy League play begins against Dartmouth next weekend. 

Penn 20, Colgate 17 — Revanth Renukunta, Sports Reporter

It’s time to get this season really going. In a surprisingly close encounter with the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens last weekend, the Red and Blue were propelled by a 176-yard rushing effort from sophomore running back Malachi Hosley. Springing to a 16-6 lead at halftime, Penn Football was seemingly going to start the season with a win but ultimately fell to a 4th-quarter rally by the Hens. I’m backing Malachi Hosley for another afternoon of high production. Let’s give him the ball all game this time, not just the first 3 quarters, and maybe we’ll scrape out a win and fare better than Cornell against Colgate (yikes). The Red and Blue are adding their first to the win column at Franklin.  

Penn 33, Colgate 14 — John Wu, Sports Reporter

Isn't Colgate a toothpaste company? Colgate is a 1-3 team. No quarterback on the Raiders’ roster has thrown more touchdowns than interceptions thus far, and their defense this season has given up 375 yards a game. I'm unconvinced, and as a naive first year, why would Penn ever let us down? Bring the toast out. Penn is winning this one.