08-26-24-jameson-abhiram-juvvadi

Interim Penn President Larry Jameson seated at convocation on Aug. 26.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Penn announced a $2 million grant initiative to fund interdisciplinary projects within the University this week. 

Interim Penn President Larry Jameson unveiled the "Draw Down the Lightening" initiative in a Sept. 16 email to the Penn community. The initiative, which is part of former Penn President Liz Magill's In Principle and Practice Framework, is focused on leveraging Penn’s interdisciplinary focus to solve societal challenges.

Jameson’s email explained that parameters for submission “are purposefully open-ended to encourage the widest range of ideas and new programs that will advance Penn’s mission.” Proposals are encouraged to address challenges related to climate, health, or democracy — as well as strengthen community and deepen local, national or global partnerships.

A University spokesperson directed The Daily Pennsylvanian to Jameson’s email.

In the announcement, Jameson wrote that the initiative is not meant to support individual research projects, but to "expand areas of scholarship, advance community service or engagement, promote civil discourse and enrich campus life." 

"The breadth of this solicitation is meant to encourage creativity and inventiveness, and to originate programs that will cultivate a lasting legacy to Penn’s identity and future," he added.

Initial grant proposals are due on Oct. 28, and recipients will be announced in March 2025. Grants will be awarded in two sizes: less than $50,000 and between $50,000 and $250,000. Proposal funding should not exceed two years, according to the grant initiative’s webpage.

The Draw Down the Lightning grants are one of the first initiatives to come out of the In Principle and Practice strategic framework. The Red and Blue Advisory Committee, which consists of 15 faculty and staff and two students, advises initiatives that come out of the framework.     

Draw Down the Lightning grants are the University’s newest avenue to fund projects. Other University funding sources include the President’s Innovation and Engagement prizes, Projects for Progress, and the University Research Foundation.