julia-julie-borrelli-photo-from-penn-medicine

Julie Borrelli was recently named chair of the Abramson Cancer Center Director's Leadership Council (Photo from Penn Medicine).

Julia Borrelli has been named chair of the Abramson Cancer Center Director's Leadership Council at Penn Medicine, effective November 2024.

The council's mission is to support the Abramson Cancer Center's efforts in cancer research, patient care, and education. Borelli was appointed chair for her work in supporting cancer research through advocacy and philanthropy, especially regarding Lynch syndrome, a hereditary predisposition to colon cancer, according to the Penn Med announcement.

She will succeed Richard Schiffrin, who was the ACCDLC chair for the past five years.

“I am honored to lead such a tireless, dedicated group of cancer research and care advocates, and I continue to be inspired by the efforts of my fellow ACCDLC council members,” Borrelli said in the announcement. “I look forward to this new role and to working closely with ACC leadership—allowing every patient at the ACC to fear less and hope more.”

Borrelli has served on the ACCDLC alongside her husband Jason Borrelli since 2019. They created the Jason and Julie Borrelli Lynch Syndrome Research Fund and the Julie and Jason Borrelli Lynch Syndrome Fellowship that year, as well as the Research and Pilot Grant Fund in 2021 to aid the development of Lynch syndrome research, education, and patient care programs. 

“Lynch syndrome is the most common cause of inherited colorectal cancer and affects approximately 1.2 million individuals in the US,” Borelli said. “Our family is honored to stand with the amazing clinicians, faculty, and researchers at the ACC to find new cures and advancements for this disease.” 

In 2023, the couple also worked with Borrelli’s parents, Jeffery and Cynthia King, to found the Jeffery and Cynthia King Professorship of Lynch Syndrome Research at the Perelman School of Medicine. 

“Julie and her family have already taken a lead role in propelling our Lynch syndrome program to new heights, and we are looking forward to seeing what her leadership will bring to the council as we continue to press forward together,” Abramson Cancer Center Director Robert Vonderheide said.

Borrelli earned a degree in hotel, restaurant, and institutional management from Penn State University. She previously worked for Marriott International and National Properties Inc. — a real estate and management firm — before turning her attention to philanthropy and volunteering. In addition to creating awareness for Lynch syndrome, Borreli also raises awareness for the Talk School, a center for educating children with autism or speech and language disorders. 

In May, Borrelli and her husband were both named Philanthropist of the Year by Penn State.