acp-pacemaker-award-emmi-wu
Credit: Emmi Wu

The Associated Collegiate Press has recognized The Daily Pennsylvanian as a newspaper Pacemaker award finalist.

The DP submitted three print issues from the 2034-24 academic year, including a special issue covering former Penn President Liz Magill's resignation. The DP most recently won a Pacemaker in 2022. As of publication, awards have yet to be announced for the multiplatform awards. 

The Pacemaker Awards are considered the most prestigious awards in the field and are unofficially known as the Pulitzer Prizes of collegiate journalism.

The DP was selected as a finalist among 43 colleges and universities. Twenty-one finalists will win the award, which is set to be announced at the Fall National College Media Convention on Nov. 2. Eighty-eight newspapers entered the competition.

“The Pacemaker is the association’s preeminent award,” ACP Executive Director Laura Widmer said in the finalist announcement. “ACP is honored to recognize the best of the best.”

The DP was also recognized as a finalist for several individual awards, and winners will be announced on Nov. 2. 

For Design of the Year, the DP was recognized as a finalist for the newspaper front page category for the Feb. 29 print edition. The DP was also recognized as a finalist for the informational graphic category for a data story about the demographics of the University Board of Trustees. DP Design Editor Sophia Liu and Deputy Design Editors Katrina Itona, Insia Haque, Janine Navalta, and Emmi Wu contributed to the designs.

For Story of the Year, the DP was recognized as a finalist for the column category for former columnist Spencer Gibb's “How to fire an Ivy League president.”

For Photo of the Year, the DP was recognized as a finalist for the breaking news photo category for staff photographer Ethan Young's photo of pro-Palestinian protesters removing barricades around the encampment on College Green.