10-27-23-football-vs-brown-erica-michalikova

Sports columnist Tyler Ringhofer makes some bold predictions about the upcoming season.

Credit: Erica Michalíková

It’s redemption season.

After a disappointing 2023 campaign by Penn football’s standards, the Quakers hope to bounce back and prove that they belong in the upper echelon of Ivy League football. In this preview, I'll break down the top storylines for this season and what I believe this rendition of Quakers can accomplish.

Last season was anything but smooth sailing for the Red and Blue, who finished the season fifth in the Ivy League with an overall record of 6-4 and a conference record of 3-4. However, the record doesn’t reflect how close many of those games were. Dropped passes and untimely errors on several occasions often plagued the Quakers, inhibiting their contention for the title.

"A point of emphasis"

In a sport where one play can entirely change the outcome of a game, mitigating mistakes is the key for this Penn squad. Heading into his ninth season leading the Red and Blue, coach Ray Priore sees one area of their game that could see much-needed improvement — turnovers. Last season, the Quakers committed a total of 14 turnovers in their four Ivy League losses, while giving the ball away just three times in their three league wins.

“The game is all about the ball. It’s keeping it and getting it...” Priore said. “A couple balls last year where we threw our receivers hands that popped out, they were intercepted. We've done a really, really good job on both sides going through preseason camp right now. [Turnovers are] definitely a point of emphasis this year.”

Malachi Hosley Continues his Ascension

In today’s age of high-flying offenses, be sure not to overlook the man powering this offense from the backfield. Star sophomore running back Malachi Hosley continues to turn heads and break ankles with his blazing speed. Already having accumulated a laundry list of accolades, including Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors and first-team All-Ivy recognition, Hosley has quickly broken onto the scene.

In a game against Cornell, Hosley set a Penn record with a 96-yard touchdown run, the longest in Penn history. Although Penn’s offense looked at times dysfunctional last season, a bright spot came from the man donning the jersey No. 23, who was often the answer in tight spots for the team.

This year, I predict a monster season from the sophomore ball carrier. I believe that Hosley has the potential to eclipse over 1,000 all-purpose yards and score more than 10 touchdowns. With a high motor and fearless determination, Hosley has superstar potential written all over him — and he hopes to do a little rewriting of the record books himself.

“Every day we wake up with one goal, which is to get better,” Hosley said. “We're working hard to come out on top and start the season 1-0.”

Jared Richardson Breaks Through in a Big Way

For senior quarterback Aidan Sayin to thrive, he will need to turn to his reliable third-year wideout. Junior wide receiver Jared Richardson was recently named to the Walter Payton Award Watch List, an honor given to the best national offensive player in Division I college football every year. Known as a triple threat, Richardson led the Quakers in reception, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns. With a first-team All-Ivy award under his belt, I predict that Richardson will once again be the focal point in Penn’s passing attack. Like Hosley, I believe a 1,000-yard receiving season is certainly within reach for Richardson, who will once again prove why he is All-Ivy talent.

Schedule Preview

Looking at the season ahead, Penn starts their non-conference play with games away at Delaware and at home against Colgate. Though the Ivy League title is awarded based solely on a team’s record in conference play, these games will be pivotal in getting the Red and Blue off on the right foot. Having lost three out of their last four games to finish last season, I expect the Quakers to come out fresh with a fiery intensity.

The Red and Blue are eight years removed from their last Ivy League title, which came in 2016. After a rough showing in 2023, Penn looks to finish where they haven’t for a long time. For this season, it's easy to say that the team’s goal is an Ivy League Championship. But to me, I believe that this dream can only be actualized if the Red and Blue gets back to their winning culture – one that limits turnovers down the stretch, capitalizes on crucial opportunities, and finishes close games.

If there's anything we have learned about teams from Philadelphia, it's that they will embody the perseverant, scrappy, and underdog spirit of the city. Not only do I predict that Penn looks forward to earning a piece of championship hardware, but I also expect that they will gain sole possession of it — and reach the top of the Rocky Steps.

Season Prediction: 7-3, Ivy League Champions.