11-18-23-football-vs-princeton-weining-ding
Penn's football team runs onto the field before a game against Princeton on Nov. 18, 2023. Credit: Weining Ding

From high in the stands of Franklin Field’s 52,593-seat stadium, a jersey number is often the only thing differentiating one Penn football player from another.

As such, the number a Quaker chooses to wear — emblazoned in bold white font on both the front and back of the team jerseys, just beneath the Penn logo — often holds a special significance. From mentors to family, tradition to friendship, these are a few of the many stories behind those numbers.

No. 17 — Jared Richardson

For junior wide receiver Jared Richardson, wearing No. 17 on the field is a reminder of family and a tribute to his mother.

“Feb. 17 is my mom’s birthday," Richardson said. "[Family] is a big part of why I do what I do. My mom and dad, brother and sisters … that’s who I play for.”

No. 17 accompanies Richardson to early-morning practices and late-night film sessions, providing a constant reminder of home and the motivation to keep going. During games, however, Richardson can find that inspiration in the bleachers.

“My parents have never missed a football game ever in my entire life," Richardson said. "Same thing with basketball when I was growing up; they have yet to miss a game.”

No. 7 — Bisi Owens

Junior wide receiver Bisi Owens traded for No. 7 to honor both his football and family role models. Owens’ history with the number dates back to high school, where he wore it as quarterback.

“Seven captures the similarities between my game and [former Philadelphia Eagle] Mike Vick’s," Owens said. "We’re both black quarterbacks, left handed, and very mobile.”

Now a wide receiver, Owens’ play style — defined by agility and heads-up situational awareness — still harkens back to Vick’s quarterbacking. But beyond the player similarities, No. 7 also represents Owens’ family.

“I’m part of a pretty big family, eight of us total, including my parents," Owens said. "I’m the seventh by age, seven is important to me … I really wanted to get it for my junior and senior year.”

No. 41 — Ryan O’Connell

Junior linebacker Ryan O’Connell wears No. 41 as tribute to Ronald Machen, who wore it while competing for the Stanford Cardinal. O’Connell cites Machen’s gameplay as foundational in his own athletic career.

“He did everything right as a player, and I aspire to be like him," Machen said. "His ferociousness, his drive on the field — he played with fire, and that’s how I model my game.”

In addition to an excellent college football career, Machen is also the former United States Attorney for the District of Columbia and the father of Penn junior linebacker Kadari Machen.

No. 80 — Albert Jang

Senior kicker/punter Albert Jang currently wears No. 80, but in high school,Jang had chosen a more meaningful set of digits. Following his faith, Jang found meaning in No. 19.

“Nineteen, I used to do that for the bible verse Joshua 1.9,” Jang said.

The verse encourages people to “be strong and of a good courage” by relying on their strength and faith during hardship. For his current number, Jang has found a different benefit to its meaning.

“There's not necessarily a story behind that one,” Jang clarified. “It’s just that I get to walk around campus looking like a star receiver.”

No. 95 — Santiago Sturla

Junior kicker/punter Santiago Sturla, when asked about his jersey number, also had more to say about his highschool digits than his college number of 95. Ariving to the United States from his home country of Argentina later in life, Sturla found himself switching from fútbol to football. One of his neighbors ran a football program that both helped him acclimate to the United States and to his newfound sport — which prompted Sturla to honor him in game.

“My neighbor ran a youth football organization in my hometown,” Sturla said. “He wore 76, and when I first went out to play, he gave me his number.”

Similarly to his special teams teammate Jang, his current number was given to him with no other option — which leads to his hope for a change in the future.

“I didn’t really choose 95 — it’s pretty dusty,” Sturla said. “I mean, if it were up to me, I would change it — maybe a single-digit number would be pretty cool next year, if I have a good year this year.”

No. 62 — Jake Bingham

Junior offensive lineman Jake Bingham chose No. 62 to honor the legacy of Penn teammate Michael Gavin, who passed away last October after battling a rare form of cancer. Bingham and Gavin were high school teammates who bonded over a shared love of the game.

“[Gavin] was a nose guard, and I played center, so we faced each other every day," Bingham said. "We worked hard, made each other better, and ultimately both decided to come to Penn.”

Now, Bingham celebrates Gavin’s life by wearing his number.

“He was one of my best friends," Bingham shared. "I wear his jersey to carry on his legacy and keep his number on the field … I’m proud to be able to represent him.”