09-17-24-2024-sports-editors-anna-vazhaeparambil-00

Sports editors Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao, Walker Carnathan, and Lucas Pilgrim pose in The Daily Pennsylvanian office on Sep. 17.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Walker Carnathan, Sports Editor

After a disappointing season in 2023, this year’s Quakers are back for revenge. Despite being one of the conference’s most talented teams a season ago — as evidenced by their number of All-Ivy selections, the Red and Blue were on the outside looking in from the championship party, finishing the year with a 3-4 conference record. Of the three teams that shared the crown, Penn soundly defeated one (Yale) and suffered nail-biting overtime losses against the other two (Dartmouth and Harvard). If you ask me, that is the mark of a team better than its record suggests.

This season, the Quakers return with much of their top talent, most notably their three offensive cornerstones: senior quarterback Aidan Sayin, junior wide receiver Jared Richardson, and sophomore running back Malachi Hosley. Sayin and Richardson in particular should quickly find a home in new offensive coordinator Greg Chimera’s pass-happy offense, while Hosley poses a home-run-hitting ground threat that opponents cannot help but respect. That, coupled with a defense that allowed the second fewest yards in the conference, equals a team with championship upside.

Penn will win the Ivy League title if …

Their execution can be more consistent from game to game. If you only watched the Red and Blue travel to the Yale Bowl and dominate the Bulldogs last season, you might wonder how they weren’t the conference’s best team. Conversely, if you only watched them turn the ball over seven times in a season finale loss to Princeton, you may wonder how they ever won a game. Standardizing their performance will be critical for the Quakers — if they show up week in and week out, so will the wins.

Predicted Record: 8-2, Ivy League champions

Vivian Yao, Sports Editor

New teams take time to gel. While roster turnover is normal in college football, this year’s Red and Blue is looking quite different. The defense will be missing its talisman: defensive lineman Joey Slackman, who last season became the first Quaker to win Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year since 2015. Slackman leaves a gap that will take the team a few games to fill. 

On offense, the team is bringing back most of its talent. However, the offseason saw the departure of former offensive coordinator Dan Swanstrom for the head coaching position at Cornell. In comes former Johns Hopkins coach Greg Chimera. Even if the Ivy League isn’t on par with other Division I programs around the country, the step from D-III play to D-I play is still significant. Expect plenty of growing pains as the offense gets used to the Chimera era.

Penn will win the Ivy League title if …

Senior quarterback Aidan Sayin can limit his interceptions. Sayin is coming off a season where he recorded 12 interceptions — many of which cost the Quakers a win. If he gives his guys a chance to make plays, they will.

Predicted Record: 5-5

Sean McKeown, Deputy Sports Editor

Defense may win championships, but this year’s Quakers team is all about offense. After a 6-4 year with plenty of problems holding onto the ball — new offensive coordinator Greg Chimera comes in to set a new standard. Passing by players in between classes or on Walnut Street, I’ve heard one phrase over and over: We’re not going 6-4 again. And, you know what, I believe them! 

The talent on offense is undeniable, and with a new coordinator coming from a D-III program, it seems that the sky’s the limit. The foundation, though, has to be strong, and this year’s incoming offensive line provides exactly that. Stalwarts of the offensive line like junior Jake Bingham and senior William Bergin look to set the tone for a nasty line upfront that wants nothing more than to make holes for Hosley and to keep Sayin’s jersey clean.

And while I’m high on the potential the offense has, the defense isn’t a group to underestimate. It too features plenty of returning talent, like defensive backs fifth-year senior Shiloh Means and sophomore Devin Malloy in the secondary, and while some might be worried about the hole left by the departing Slackman, there are plenty of hungry defenders looking to fill his production.

Penn will win the Ivy League title if …

The offensive line can stand tall for Sayin and Hosley. The engine of the offense is the line upfront, and their performance is imperative to the team’s success.

Predicted Record: 9-1, Ivy League champions

Lucas Milgrim, Deputy Sports Editor

There are two ways for a team to build on a previous season: Grow and develop the talent they had the prior year, or bring in new personnel to strengthen the roster.

On the field, the Quakers will be relying on the former. Most key players will not be wearing the Red and Blue for the first time, including Sayin, Richardson, and Hosley on offense, as well as Malloy and senior defensive lineman Bryce Hall on the defense.

On the other hand, the coaching staff is hoping a new addition in Chimera will boost the turnover-happy offense. Penn lost the turnover battle 20-9 last year — Chimera will have to bring a ball-protecting culture to Franklin Field to maximize chances for the Quakers offense.

Penn will win the Ivy League if …

The defense forces more turnovers. Averaging under one turnover a game, especially with an offense with turnover issues, won’t cut it. While some of this may be due to bad fumble luck (nine forced and only one recovered), the Quakers will need to improve to provide the offense with ample opportunity to succeed. 

Predicted Record: 4-6