09-30-23-womens-soccer-vs-yale-sydney-curran-2

Penn women's soccer played Drexel on Aug. 25, 2024.

Credit: Sydney Curran

Two days remain until the start of the Penn semester, and while other students have been furiously packing and reuniting with friends, Penn women’s soccer was busy shaking off its fresh loss against Villanova to prepare for a fierce match against neighborhood rival Drexel.

Though Penn has a history of beating Drexel, with a 9-2-1 record since 1994, the Quakers ultimately repeated their last performance in 2017, falling to the Dragons 2-1. Coming into the game, both teams were winless, with Penn (0-2) having lost to Villanova on Aug. 23, and Drexel (1-2) having lost to Saint Joseph’s and Fordham.

The game began with Penn maintaining early control of the ball, even sneaking in a shot on goal after just five minutes of play. Unfortunately, the Dragons quickly cleaned up their mistakes defensively while amping up their offensive attack, taking control of the game for the rest of the first half. 

The Quakers seemed to be playing a game of catchup as Drexel not only dominated the field but also ultimately set the pace of the match. Possession bounced back and forth due to numerous messy turnovers on both sides. While the Red and Blue gained multiple opportunities to drive, Drexel’s defense remained steadfast, preventing Penn from penetrating too far into the box. 

After slipping up at the net, Drexel seemed to lose momentum as Drexel forward Casey Touey missed a prime shot and Drexel defender Jess Castorina received a yellow card in another chance at the net. Sensing an opening, Penn charged up the field. The resulting corner kick provided a good opportunity to score, but the ball ultimately ended up with Drexel as the Quakers fumbled their possession.

Sixteen minutes into the game, the deadlock finally broke as Touey passed a swift assist to Drexel forward Liv Brocious, resulting in the first goal of the game and Brocious’ first goal of the season. From there, the half’s tone turned sour, as Drexel remained on top of the ball while Penn desperately tried to slow the game down.

In the remaining 25 minutes in the half, Penn had to rely on several corner kicks for goals. Due to a lack of connection and communication, the box remained too crowded for the Quakers to make clear attempts.

Drexel took two more shots in the half, one narrowly missing the goal, and the second escaping Penn junior goalkeeper Annabel Austen’s hands and flying into the net. A flag was thrown, however, disallowing the goal — much to the relief of the Red and Blue. As the clock ticked down, the pace followed suit.

The match’s second half saw the rejuvenated Quakers fight their hardest to tie the game. Though they came out strong, Drexel was ready for their energy, continuing to control possession. The Quakers struggled to maintain possession for a significant amount of time. As a result, the group struggled to move the ball up the field with either passes to empty space or quick passes to unprepared teammates.

Touey was Drexel’s standout of the night, as she relentlessly put Penn’s defense to the test. She provided the second assist to Brocious’ second goal, certifying their connection on the field. This second goal was especially disheartening, as Austen had initially saved the attempt, only to have Brocious kick the ball out of her hands and into the net.

This goal jumpstarted the Quakers, and they battled even harder for every possession. Austen continued to protect the net and made several impressive saves. Then, when it was least expected, freshman forward Mila Maltby found the back of the net off of a beautiful shot from over 20 feet out, scoring Penn’s first goal of the season and Maltby’s first goal of her collegiate career. 

The goal provided a spark for the Penn team as it chased to tie the game. Unfortunately, the Quakers were unable to put another shot away, and the game slowed down as both sides showed a decrease in energy. At the end of the day, Penn’s loss could be predicted from the stat sheet. Penn ended the game with just four shots on goal while Drexel managed ten. 

Penn women’s soccer will be looking to shake off the tight loss as the team makes the trip to the Grand Canyon State to face off against Northern Arizona on Aug. 29 at 10 p.m.