08-26-23-pma-gala-abhiram-juvvadi
Students of the Class of 2027 attend the Philadelphia Museum of Art Gala on Aug. 26, 2023. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

From first-year orientation to graduation, Penn students take part in a variety of traditions that are integral to campus culture. Here is a guide to the celebrations and events that every Penn student should know.

Convocation

Convocation, a tradition dating back to 1894, is the first time that the entire Class of 2028 will gather in the same place. During this welcome ceremony for incoming first years and transfers, students will hear from various speakers, watch performing arts groups, and learn Penn’s school song, “The Red and Blue.” This year's Convocation will take place on Aug. 26 on Franklin Field.

Class Photo

First year students will don their class T-shirts and gather on Franklin Field in the shape of their class year. The Class of 2028 photo will be taken on Aug. 22 from 11-11:30 a.m.

Philadelphia Museum of Art Gala

On Aug. 24, the Class of 2028 will have the opportunity to spend an evening at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which is home to 200 galleries. In this formal event, students will receive dinner and dessert, listen to live music, and enjoy after-hours access to the art exhibits. 

Student Performing Arts Night

As an introduction to Penn's performing arts scene, over 50 student groups will participate in a showcase on Aug. 29 at 7 p.m. in the Zellerbach Theatre at the Annenberg Center. Performances will include a cappella, dance, comedy, and spoken word. This night is geared toward first-year and transfer students so they can learn about the various performing arts groups at Penn and consider which ones they might want to join. 

Econ Scream 

The Econ Scream in the Quad is a chance for students to relieve their stress the night before the first ECON 0100 midterm. The event, typically organized by the first-year students' Class Board, invites students to enjoy free snacks and music and let out a scream at midnight to reduce their exam anxiety.

Homecoming and tree planting

Homecoming weekend this year will take place Nov. 15-17, featuring the football game against Harvard on Nov. 16. Penn will also plant a tree chosen by the Class of 2028 on College Green, aiming to improve campus appearance and build pride for the incoming class.

Toast Throwing

One of Penn’s most iconic traditions is the toast throwing ritual during the third quarter of the Homecoming football game. Originally, fans would make a toast to Penn while singing “Drink a Highball.” After the prohibition of alcohol in the 1970s, students decided to literally “toast” Penn. As they sing “Here’s a toast to dear old Penn,” students throw toast, bagels, and even donuts onto the field.

Spring Fling

Spring Fling is an annual event that takes place near the end of the spring semester, and has been held in Penn Park since 2018. It includes a nighttime concert — which has previously featured prominent artists such as Chance The Rapper, Zedd, and Snoop Dogg — and a daytime festival with carnival games, attractions, and food. 

Last year, producer Metro Boomin' headlined the concert with Daya as the opening act.

Penn Relays

The Penn Relays has been hosted since 1895 at Franklin Field and is the largest track and field competition in the country. Held at the end of April, Penn Relays has over 15,000 participants that compete in over 300 events.

U-Night

U-Night, a new sophomore tradition since 2019, serves as a culmination of sophomore year. The event features free food, music, raffles, and speeches, followed by a lantern-lighting ceremony to highlight class unity. 

Hey Day

Hey Day, which has happened in April since 1916, celebrates the transition of juniors to seniors. The juniors wear red shirts and boater hats while carrying mahogany canes. After a picnic at high rise field, they typically march to College Hall via Locust Walk to greet the President, who officially declares them seniors.