01-30-21-franklin-field-sukhmani-kaur
A view of the track at Franklin Field on Jan. 30, 2021. Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

From a look at the nation’s oldest two-tiered stadium to the court that has been graced by the likes of NBA legends LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Chris Paul, The Daily Pennsylvanian has you covered with a guide to all the major venues that Penn’s various Division I athletics teams call home. 

Franklin Field

Franklin Field is the oldest operational college football stadium in the nation, with a seating capacity of 52,958. Built in 1895, the stadium is home to Penn’s football, lacrosse, and track and field programs. The stadium is located at the southeastern corner of campus, directly across the street from the Penn Museum.

As one of the more iconic sports venues on campus, Franklin Field hosts the annual Penn Relays, the largest and oldest track and field competition in the country. Also in the stadium’s illustrious past is a stretch of time from 1958 to 1970 when the Philadelphia Eagles called Franklin Field home.

The Palestra

Located on the eastern side of Shoemaker Green, the Palestra — nicknamed the Cathedral of College Basketball — is home to Penn’s men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and wrestling programs. Built in 1927, the stadium seats 8,725 people and has hosted more NCAA games than any other facility in college basketball. Until very recently, the Palestra was also the sole host for the Philadelphia Big 5 basketball conference.

Hutchinson Gymnasium

Named after Penn trustee and former football and baseball player Sydney Hutchinson, the building is home to the men’s and women’s fencing programs. Built in 1928 before being modified in 2013, Hutch also regularly hosts intramural dodgeball and volleyball games. The building is one of the trickier ones to find, as it is wedged between the Palestra and the Penn Squash Center. 

Meiklejohn Stadium - Tommy Lasorda Field 

Formerly known as Murphy Field, Tommy Lasorda Field plays host to Penn baseball and is located at the southernmost edge of campus. It’s a bit of a trek but is considered one of the better fields in the country, as it underwent renovations in 2023 that included updated dugouts, protective netting, and the addition of a new pitcher–development area. 

Penn Tennis Center

Penn tennis splits its time at two different courts: the Hecht Tennis Center, which is an indoor facility, and the Hamlin Tennis Center, which is outdoors. The Hecht Tennis Center opened in 1973 and can be found adjacent to the Class of 1923 Ice Rink on the eastern side of campus. The Hamlin Tennis Center, which opened in 2011, can be found in the southern portion of Penn Park. It includes 12 all-weather courts, including six specifically designed for varsity team usage and stadium seating for spectators. 

Penn Park

Opened in 2011, Penn Park is composed of 24 acres of athletic fields and open space on the east side of Penn’s campus. One area of note is the Hamlin Tennis Center, which hosts outdoor tennis matches, and the Multipurpose Stadium, which is the home of Penn softball. With seating for 450 people in chairbacks and an additional 300 around the fencing, the field is sandwiched between the turf soccer fields and the tennis courts. 

Penn Squash Center

Originally opened in 1958 and further renovated in 2019, the Penn Squash Center is widely considered one of the best squash facilities not just in the Ivy League, but in the entire nation. The $19-million facility can be found adjacent to Hutch, with Franklin Field on the other side of the building.

River Fields

The River Fields complex is located on the easternmost side of campus, beyond Penn Park, and is home to men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey, and track and field. 

The men’s and women’s soccer teams play on Rhodes Field, which was first named the official home for the two programs during the Homecoming festivities in 2002. Directly next to Rhodes Field is Vagelos Field, where the field hockey team has played all its home games since the field’s completion in 2013. Last, but not least, is the Ott Center for Track and Field — a new state-of-the-art indoor track and field facility that is in the final stages of completion.

Sheerr Pool

Located in the basement of the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center, Sheerr Pool is typically home to the Penn swimming and diving teams. But this year, the programs will be temporarily housed at Drexel University while the pool undergoes renovations. During normal years, Penn students can access the pool for free and use it for exercise and recreation outside of practice and meet hours.