08-26-24-convocation-abhiram-juvvadi-02
Interim President Jameson speaks at Convocation on Aug. 26. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Interim Penn President Larry Jameson, in his first Convocation address since being appointed, spoke to first years about their "solemn responsibility" as newly minted members of the University community. 

Administrators sparingly acknowledged the year of demonstrations and turmoil that has faced Penn's campus, but several stressed the need to embrace differing viewpoints and avoid polarization. Welcoming the Class of 2028, Jameson acknowledged that the University and the world were facing "divisive days" and urged students to embrace the pillars of "In Principle and Practice" — a University-wide strategic framework launched under Jameson's predecessor, Liz Magill, which is now fueling several initiatives to promote climate, the arts, and public policy. 

"We share a responsibility to look out for each other in this community, to treat everyone, no matter their background or point of view, with the same courtesy and respect that we all expect," Jameson, flanked by administrators and student leaders, told the crowd of 2,400 first years. "These can be divisive days. No corner of the world is exempt, but here you join a community where what we share in common vastly outweighs what will divide us."

Comparing Penn to the American elm tree on College Green, Jameson said that the University bears centuries of history and values but continues to "branch out" on its legacy. He also stressed the importance of civic engagement in an election year. 

The University tradition of Convocation, held Monday night on Franklin Field for the second year in a row after it was interrupted by protests on College Green in 2022, proceeded this year without any disruption — except for the occasional buzzing of helicopters coming and going from Penn Medicine.

“If John Legend can do it, I can pull it off, too,” Jameson said, referring to when the Penn alumnus was able to continue his remarks over the same sound at a past Commencement ceremony.

Penn has previously cited the ongoing renovation of College Hall to explain Convocation's relocation to Franklin Field. 

The hourlong Convocation event featured a performance by the South Asian a capella group Penn Masala, hopes for "good vibes" for the Class of 2028 from 2000 College graduate and University Chaplain Chaz Howard, and an extended boxing metaphor from Dean of Admissions Whitney Soule. Penn Glee Club also performed, along with the Penn Band, which led the traditional rendition of The Red and Blue to close out the ceremony. 

Credit: Ethan Young

Provost John Jackson was the most explicit of all the administrators in acknowledging the pro-Palestinian demonstrations at Penn and other university campuses in recent months, which have opposed the war in Gaza and called on college leaders to divest from ties to Israel. 

“People came together based on a call to express their closely held beliefs — and sometimes their frustrations,” he said. “I'm not here tonight to tell you how to think or how to feel about the complex issues that give rise to protest or about the protests themselves. Instead, I'm going to ask that you take a deep dive into what it means to convene here together at Penn … as an active participant in our community and our democracy.” 

Jackson urged students to challenge their existing beliefs and be open to new views, noting that in a time of division, students should “find a way to be in this world that doesn’t fall victim to the polarizing tendencies that seem to infect every aspect of our society.”  

“Take this time not just to champion, but to challenge what you take for granted,” Jackson said. 

This year’s Convocation ceremony marked the start of a new school year following two semesters of continuous campus turmoil. Demonstrations included the 16-day Gaza Solidarity Encampment, which occurred on College Green in late spring. Over the summer, Penn passed new temporary open expression guidelines, which explicitly banned encampments and many other techniques used by activists in recent months — policies which went unmentioned by Jameson or other administrators at Convocation. 

In 2022, Magill's first-ever Convocation speech was interrupted by a group of protesters from the Coalition to Save the UC Townhomes.

Class of 2025 President and College senior Amaan Omer presented the Class of 2028 with their official Penn flag. During the ceremony, the screen behind the podium featured messages and pictures posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. A dessert reception took place at Shoemaker Green following the conclusion of the event. 

Credit: Ethan Young

"It was a special experience to have, especially as a transfer student entering a new community," College sophomore Audrey Levenson told The Daily Pennsylvanian. “It was a great way to feel like we’re really members of the new Penn community.”

College first year Katie Lam added that she was “very honored” to be at the event. 

“I’m very excited to start the school year, even though I know the academics will not go easy on me,” she said.

“It was a very memorable start to the semester,” College first year Lorelei Mohammadbhoy said. “It represented the coming together of the Penn community and … of all of the support that the Class of 2028 will have — not only with each other — but with the Penn faculty.”