12-13-23-penn-from-above-abhiram-juvvadi
An aerial view of the campus of the University of Pennsylvania, with Fisher Library (left), College Hall (center), and Irvine Auditorium (right) visible in the foreground and Franklin Field in the background. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

New to Penn and don’t have the lingo down yet? Don’t fret. Here’s a comprehensive list of terms and phrases to help you navigate the Penn student vernacular.

Your campus

Compass: The large compass built into Locust Walk at the 37th Street intersection. According to superstition, first years who walk over it will fail their first midterm.

DRL: David Rittenhouse Laboratory, a semi-brutalist math and science building at 33rd and Walnut streets. Notorious among students for its bleak atmosphere and lengthy distance from most other campus buildings. 

VP: Van Pelt Library.

Stommons: The Starbucks under 1920 Commons, which is the only Starbucks on campus that takes Dining Dollars. 

The Tampons: Large red structure past the bridge on Locust Walk. A popular meeting spot. 

The Button: White button sculpture outside of Van Pelt Library. 

GSR: Group study rooms. Students must be proactive in claiming one during midterms or final seasons, as they book rather quickly.

Steiny-D: Steinberg-Dietrich Hall, a Wharton building on Locust Walk between 36th and 37th streets. 

Grommons: Gourmet Grocer, the on-campus market in 1920 Commons where students can grab quick meals and snacks.

KCECH (pronounced Kay-Check): Kings Court English House, a college house with a dining hall on the first floor. 

Fisher: Fisher Fine Arts Library. Not to be confused with Fisher-Bennett Hall.

Your classes

PPE: Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.

HSOC (pronounced Aitch-SOC): Health and Societies.

BEPP: Business, Economics, and Public Policy.

Orgo: Organic Chemistry.

OIDD: Operations, Informations, and Decisions.

Your social life

BYO: Philadelphia has a plethora of restaurants, including several located in University City, that allow customers to “bring your own” drinks.

MERT(ed): The Medical Emergency Response Team is a group of student EMTs who respond to emergency calls on campus. To be “MERTed” is to require this team to be called for emergency help — many instances of which involve alcohol or other substances.

Homecoming (hoco) weekend: An annual tradition where students attend a Penn football game in November. Famously known as one of the only days during the year where students show school spirit. 

Spring Fling: A two-day festival that traditionally takes place the weekend before final exams, featuring parties, student performances, and a nighttime concert.

Darty: Outdoor day parties, many of which are held during Homecoming weekend, St. Patrick’s Day, and Spring Fling.

Late night: A party, typically hosted by a fraternity, around 1 a.m. or 2 a.m. 

SABS-ing: To “see and be seen.” Some classic spots to SABS are Stommons and the tables outside ARCH. 

Apes, Theos, Crows, Fiji, Hall, Elmo’s, Sammy, Pike, Phi, OAX: Greek organizations that aren’t known by Greek letters. 

Sceney: A term used to refer to Penn students who are very involved with the social “scene.”

Downtown: A party held in downtown Philadelphia rather than on campus. 

Smokes’: Smokey Joe’s, a bar on 40th Street popular with Penn students.

Miscellaneous

OCR: On-campus recruiting. Explains why you might see Wharton students in formal attire running around campus. Often held at the Saxbys Coffee on 40th and Locust streets.