Credit: JEAN PARK

CHICAGO — Thousands of delegates, prominent politicians, social media influencers celebrities, and attendees flocked to Chicago last week for the Democratic National Convention. 

Those in attendance also included ten students in COMM 4280: “Conventions, Debates, and Campaigns“ — a Penn class taught once every presidential election year — and among them, two photographers for The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Over the four days, politicians gave enthusiastic, arousing speeches, and Democratic groups mobilized for conferences, breakfasts, and speaker panels in support of their party. Here's how the DP captured this historic moment in an unprecedented election cycle. 

Credit: Jean Park

Among the swing state delegations — Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, and Pennsylvania — energy was particularly high. 

At the convention, Pennsylvania delegates completed their roll call with “Motownphilly” by Boyz II Men playing in the background. Though Harris was declared the nominee earlier in the month in a virtual roll call vote,  Pennsylvania formally cast its votes for Harris. 

Pennsylvania delegates and politicians showed their support for Harris during the whole week, hosting a breakfast every day at the landmark Palmer House. Prominent Pennsylvania politicians like Gov. Josh Shapiro (D-Pa.) and Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker (D-Pa.) made an appearance and vocalized the importance of Pennsylvania in the upcoming election. 

Having members of the Democratic party elected into all positions of office “to deliver for these constituents becomes extremely important,” Parker told the DP.

Democratic vice presidential candidate and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D-Minn.) surprised the crowd when he spoke at the Pennsylvania delegation breakfast. The crowd listened as Walz praised Pennsylvania for its efforts to get out the vote. 

“Believe in a positive future,” Walz said. 

During the week, several politicians including United States Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg, Senator Corey Booker (D-N.J.), local politicians, and First Lady of Minnesota Gwen Walz delivered enthusiastic speeches to the Pennsylvania delegation.

Credit: Jean Park

Credit: Jean Park

The class sponsoring the Penn students' attendance at the DNC is taught in the Annenberg School For Communication. Led by lecturers David Eisenhower, Marjorie Margolies, and Craig Snyder, the students had the unique opportunity to meet politicians, activists, and journalists. 

Other students in the class attended the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee in July. Together, they will all meet in person for class once a week until election day. 

Credit: Jean Park

Though the fate of the election is undecided, Pennsylvania plays a critical role as a swing state. But for now, Pennsylvanian delegates, along with the student attendees from the University of Pennsylvania, felt the energy of a newly invigorated Democratic Party during the four short days.