96504761-d3ac-4f99-88e2-effa3cdcba96-sized-1000x1000

The Pennovations Works center was vandalized Tuesday morning.  

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Pennovation Center, the flagship building of the 23-acre innovation hub Pennovation Works, was vandalized early Tuesday morning.

The vandalism targeted several doors and windows of the building. Following the incident, Penn Police and Allied Universal Security Services have increased security checks in the area.

“On Tuesday, July 9th, Penn Police responded to a report of vandalism at the Pennovation Works,” Penn’s Division of Public Safety wrote in a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian. “Upon arrival, Penn Police observed numerous glass panels in windows and doors had been shattered at one of the buildings. Police then conducted a search of the property and confirmed there were no trespassers remaining on site.”

According to the University crime log published by DPS, the vandalism was first reported at 12:41 a.m. on July 9. The case remains “active” as per the log. 

The Pennovation Works campus houses numerous offices, startups, and labs across several buildings, including the Pennovation Center. Tenants include the Free Library of Philadelphia, the Penn Vet Working Dog Center, and a backup communications center for DPS in conjunction with Drexel Public Safety. 

Ghost Robotics, a company housed at Pennovation Works that develops and sells four-legged robots to be used for “data collection, intelligence, security, asset protection, and military-specific uses,” has also been the center of controversy on campus this semester in light of the Israel-Hamas war. 

In April, protesters called on Penn to cut ties with the group, alleging that Israel's military utilized the robots in the ongoing war. The DP could not independently confirm these claims. 

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the vandalism targeted Ghost Robotics, or that Ghost Robotics' presence at Pennovation Works prompted the vandalism.