capitol

Israeli Prime Minister Bejamin Netanyahu criticized campus protestors and administrators for their actions during last semester's wave of pro-Palestinian activism. 

Credit: Ethan Young

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took aim at American universities during a nearly hourlong address to the United States Congress on Wednesday, specifically criticizing former Penn President Liz Magill for her controversial remarks at a December congressional hearing on campus antisemitism.

Netanyahu’s remarks encompassed a broader discussion on the state of Israel, its ongoing war with Hamas, and its allyship with the United States. He condemned critics of the Israel-Hamas war and made claims about Israel’s efforts to minimize civilian casualties and facilitate humanitarian aid to those affected by the war. 

Several top Democrats boycotted the address, which also drew thousands of protesters to the Capitol. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) — who has expressed his passionate support for Israel — was seen seated in the front row during the address, uncharacteristically wearing a suit and tie. 

In his speech, the Israeli leader referred to a December 2023 congressional hearing during which Magill, along with the presidents of Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, faced intense questioning about their institutions’ responses to antisemitism following Hamas’ attack on Israel on Oct. 7. 

“It’s not only the campus protesters who get it wrong, it’s also the people who run those campuses,” Netanyahu said. “80 years after the Holocaust, the presidents of Harvard, Penn, and — I’m ashamed to say, my alma mater MIT — couldn’t bring themselves to condemn the genocide of Jews.”

During the hearing, Magill was the second of the three university leaders to respond to a question from Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) about whether calling for the genocide of Jewish people violates Penn’s code of conduct. Magill answered that it was “context dependent.”

“Remember what they said? They said, it depends on the context. Well, let me give these befuddled academics a little context,” Netanyahu said during his remarks. He then began to discuss the history of antisemitism and its manifestations in today’s society.

Magill’s comments prompted dozens of members of Congress to demand her removal and a subcommittee of the U.S. House of Representatives to open an investigation into Penn and threaten subpoenas, and numerous Penn alumni, trustees, and donors to call for a change in University leadership. 

Just days after her testimony, amid mounting pressure, Magill resigned from Penn’s presidency, marking one of the shortest presidential tenures in the University’s history.

In the months after Magill’s resignation, Penn has faced protests, counterprotests, and debates over free speech and student safety. In the spring, a 16-day Gaza Solidarity Encampment occurred on campus and ended when police officers in riot gear arrested 33 protesters, including nine Penn students.