copy-of-copy-of-copy-of-copy-of-copy-of-untitled-design

Penn MCIT graduate student Matt Hoyt passed away on June 24th. 

School of Engineering and Applied Science graduate student Matthew Hoyt died on June 24. 

Vice Provost for University Life Karu Kozuma and Engineering School Dean Vijay Kumar notified members of the master of computer and information technology program of Hoyt’s passing in a July 19 email sent on behalf of Interim Penn President Larry Jameson and Provost John Jackson Jr. 

“Losing a student fills us with many emotions and a profound sense of loss,” the email read. “Please find comfort in one another, your loved ones, and the support services available at the University. We extend our deepest sympathies to Matt’s family and friends, and will be there to support your needs during this time of great sadness.”

According to the email, Hoyt — who lived in Mount Lebanon, Pa. and was a student in the Engineering School’s online MCIT program — obtained a master’s of accounting at Brigham Young University in 2006 before enrolling at Penn in 2022. He is survived by his wife of 22 years and four children. 

A GoFundMe linked in an obituary published online is raising money to cover funeral costs and help support Hoyt’s family.

“Matt‘s biggest passion in life was his family,” the obituary reads. “He loved being at home with his 4 kids, often making silly (aka dumb) songs for the children. He was exceptionally supportive to his wife, encouraging and supporting her hobbies and professional interests both verbally and in action, effortlessly taking his share of the housework and childcare.” 

Before attending BYU, Hoyt served a two-year mission in Santiago, Chile, where he met his wife, according to the obituary. After obtaining his master’s degree, he participated in a program with the Financial Accounting Standards Board and later worked at KPMG LLP, UBS Investment Bank, and PNC Financial Services. 

According to the obituary, a funeral service was held on July 1. 

CAMPUS RESOURCES 

Student Health and Counseling (if you have a personal or academic concern and want to talk to someone at Penn): 215-746-WELL/215-746-9355 

The University Chaplain’s Office: 215-898-8456  

The Penn Engineering Online Student Success Team: pennengonline@seas.upenn.edu

Student Intervention Services: vpul-sisteam@pobox.upenn.edu and/or 215-898-6081