ethan-young-harris-8
Cowenhoven, appointed by former Penn President Liz Magill, resigned less than a year into her tenure, which began last August. Credit: Sophia Leung

Penn Vice President for University Communications Anna Cowenhoven will resign from her position effective Aug. 1, and her predecessor, Stephen MacCarthy, will return to the University in the interim.

Cowenhoven, appointed by former Penn President Liz Magill, resigned less than a year into her tenure, which began last August. MacCarthy served as the vice president for University Communications for 12 years, from 2011 to 2023, under the appointment of former Penn President Amy Gutmann.

“When Anna came to me to share this news, she noted that the pull of her family’s life in Boston was a driving factor in her decision,” Interim Penn President Larry Jameson wrote in an announcement sent to senior staff that was obtained by The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Cowenhoven will continue to serve as a special advisor to Jameson until Dec. 31, the email states. 

“Anna has also been a trusted partner to me and many colleagues across the University, beyond her role as chief communicator,” Jameson wrote. “Her wise counsel, unwavering commitment, collaborative spirit, and keen ability to see around corners are hallmark characteristics of Anna’s leadership from which Penn has benefited.”

In the email, Jameson heralded Cowenhoven’s ability to “expertly” lead Penn’s communications efforts “through some of the most challenging and turbulent times in recent memory.”

In a separate email sent to senior staff days later — and obtained by the DP — Jameson announced that MacCarthy would serve as the interim vice president. 

“An adept leader and advisor across Penn presidencies, Steve deeply understands our University and is warmly regarded across campus and beyond,” Jameson wrote in the email. “Steve was also a steady, sage voice as Penn navigated the pandemic, when rock-solid communications were as essential as ever to our University’s missions as well as our efforts to protect lives.”

MacCarthy — who founded PennToday during his first tenure at Penn — will serve as interim vice president until Cowenhoven’s permanent successor is found.

Prior to her time at Penn, Cowenhoven served as associate dean for communications for Harvard University and as the senior vice president for corporate affairs at the Bank of America Charitable Foundation. 

“A global search for the next Vice President for University Communications will begin immediately, and we have retained the services of Korn Ferry,” Jameson wrote in the announcement.