2a58bf10-42d1-44ee-9fde-f44e11c33468-sized-1000x1000

Penn's Center for Quantum Information, Engineering, Science and Technology (QUIEST) held their inaugural Forum on Quantum Systems (FoQuS) at the Singh Nanotechnology Center.

Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

The University’s newly established Penn Center for Quantum Information, Engineering, Science and Technology hosted its inaugural two-day Forum on Quantum Systems symposium in May.

The event featured 1979 Engineering graduate and physicist David DiVincenzo as the keynote speaker. The forum attracted worldwide quantum experts, researchers, Penn faculty, and both high school and graduate students. 

Encompassing the smallest natural objects of matter, quantum science and mechanics focuses on the interaction of subatomic particles and the resulting behaviors in order to harness its fundamental principles to advance technology and computing. 

The symposium began with opening remarks and a reception, which was followed by four sessions on various topics within the field of quantum science and research: Materials for QUIEST, Quantum Devices, Quantum Systems, and QUIEST Impact, each consisting of three speakers who shared insight based on their novel studies.

Electrical and Systems Engineering professor Lee Bassett shared with Penn Engineering Today that, “Bringing ‘quantum superstars’ from academia and industry to a space where scientists of all levels could interact, exchange ideas and gain inspiration is just one way we can foster collaboration in advancing the field and exploring new possibilities.” 

In addition to encouraging partnerships and innovation in the field of quantum research, the symposium aimed to call attention to recent endeavors in quantum engineering, create connections in the field, and assist QUIEST in its emerging considerations and incipient explorations as a center. 

Through its primary goal of collaboration, FoQuS consisted of experts hailing from the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and the University College London in England, among other institutions such as the University of Maryland, Princeton University, the University of Chicago, and Duke University. Furthermore, the symposium involved presentations from Argonne National Labs, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and the Department of Energy. 

DiVincenzo discussed his journey through quantum science, rooted in Penn education, during his keynote speech. Attendees of the symposium also had the opportunity to hear from University of Groningen professor Romana Schirhagl, who shared her research on the biomedical applications of nanodiamonds in quantum sensing. Penn professors Liang Wu, Anthony Sigillito, and Gushu Li also spoke at the event.

Engineering professor and Senior Vice Provost for Research Dawn Bonnell said the event was “a truly unique and inclusive event.”