copy-of-untitled-design

Columnist Mert Kayabas calls for a new leadership following a tumultuous first presidential debate.

Credit: Chase Sutton , Mollie Benn

When my Thursday night flight to Paris was delayed, I was able to watch the first 2024 presidential debate between President Joe Biden (age 81), and 1968 Wharton graduate and former President Donald Trump (age 78). The following hour and a half caused more turbulence throughout America than any flight could endure. 

The embarrassing spectacle that we called a “debate” has fueled the conversations about the suitability of both candidates. President Biden and former President Trump’s bickering showcased to all 51.27 million Americans watching why both of them are unfit for the presidency.

Biden consistently struggled to piece together coherent sentences and to remain energetic throughout the debate. Despite his administration’s commendable achievements, Biden’s performance Thursday night has caused the American public to sound alarm bells about his capacity to serve another term. As a voter, it’s hard to ignore Biden’s experience through 51 years of public service. Yet, his present state begs the question: Can he continue to meet the demands of the presidency with the same resilience as before?

Trump’s return to the spotlight was a horrifying reminder of the chaos and political division that characterized his presidency. His exaggeration, fearmongering, and aggressive rhetoric paints a grim picture of America under his potential second term. Trump continued to attack Biden’s family and made over 30 false claims on policy issues and his own past. Throughout the debate, Trump further denied the results of the 2020 election. Trump stated that he would only accept the outcome of 2024’s presidential election “if it’s a fair and legal and good election.” 

What does Trump think is a “fair and legal” election? Will he only accept the results if he wins? What are the consequences if he loses? A potential reaction from his MAGA faction worse than building nooses for Mike Pence or putting bullet holes in our capitol is surely a possibility if he is not elected the 47th President of the United States. 

The American people, despite opposition within the democratic party, have called for Biden to drop out of the election. Simply suggesting that Biden should leave the race is a naive and dangerous solution. Dropping out now would plunge the Democratic Party into chaos, fracture the party in the primary, and weaken the chances of a democratic executive. It is no secret that America has been dealt a horrible hand with our options, and we the people have to choose between these candidates — one showing severe signs of his age and the other a threat to democracy as we know it. Yet, replacing Biden would only guarantee one thing: four more years of Trump. 

The best path forward would be for both to step aside — which, to be fair, is out of the question. To mend the damage sustained to our nation since 2016, we need fresh, energetic leadership capable of bridging the deep divides and restoring faith in our democracy. 

For Democrats, a new candidate could continue on Biden’s accomplishments and bring vigor to the Oval Office. For Republicans, moving past Trump is essential for the party’s long-term integrity and our nation’s stability. We need candidates, on both sides, who respect our democratic systems and offer a unifying vision for the future of our country.

Sure, these are all idealistic and somewhat unrealistic suggestions for this election. But the stakes are as high as they have ever been, and we are left to choose the lesser of these two evils. 

In 2028, I hope to cast a ballot for a president that will even remotely represent my political beliefs. Better yet, I hope that both parties will present candidates who are capable, coherent, and committed to the simple yet core values that define our country.

America faces a harsh impact, no matter who lands in the Oval Office.

MERT KAYABAS is an incoming College first year studying politics and economics from Dover, Del. His email is mkayabas@sas.upenn.edu.