unnamed

Felicia Washington was announced as the new vice president of human resources (photo by Penn Today). 

Felicia Washington, currently the senior vice president of human resources at the University of Southern California, will be the new vice president of human resources at Penn.

Effective Sept. 1, Washington will succeed Jack Heuer, who is retiring this year. In her new role, she will oversee talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, employee relations, wellness programs, professional development, and operational direction for human resources.

USC President Carol Folt wrote in a public farewell letter that Washington is “an incredible national leader, a valued colleague, and a highly respected advocate for building a culture of excellence across the university.”

Penn's Senior Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli also applauded Washington for her “exceptional leadership skills, experience, and commitment to the mission of higher education.”

Since assuming her role at USC in 2019, Washington’s tenure has been marked by her efforts to implement the first policy against discrimination, harassment, and retaliation that covered all members of the university. Washington also created the “HR Academy” program to strengthen HR training.

Before her role at USC, Washington worked as the vice chancellor for workforce strategy, equity, and engagement at the University of Northern Carolina at Chapel Hill and was a member of the UNC Board of Trustees. Washington also brings legal expertise from her experience as a partner at K&L Gates LLP, following her J.D. from the University of Virginia.

As Penn prepares for the transition in leadership, Executive Director of Human Resources Tom Sontag will serve as the interim vice president of human resources for two months before Washington arrives to assume her new role.