fe2a74a5-f15c-4b6c-883d-62002408e4e2-sized-1000x1000

Penn men’s basketball formally announced its incoming freshman class on Tuesday.  

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

While most of Penn’s student body is off enjoying summer break, school is already in session for the newest members of the Red and Blue.

On Tuesday, Penn men’s basketball formally announced its incoming freshman class, marking the team’s transition to the season ahead as summer workouts begin. The Quakers welcome a four-person class for the second consecutive year, a mark that ties them for the most in the Ivy League. After a 3-11 conference finish in 2023, the team’s worst since 1957, coach Steve Donahue believes this year’s class will impact winning in both the short and long term.

"I am excited to get started with this group of guys," Donahue said. "We set out to find specific needs with this class when we hit the recruiting trail, and I think these four young men we are bringing in check those boxes. We hope to see them contribute to our culture immediately and look forward to seeing them make their mark on the court over the next four years."

Michelangelo Oberti

Hailing from Riva di Solto, Italy, the 6-foot-10 Oberti is a rarity on multiple fronts for the Quakers. In terms of stature, the last time a Quaker freshman recruit measured 6-foot-10 or taller was Gus Larson in 2021. In terms of heritage, the last time Penn welcomed a player from Europe was Kuba Mijakowski in 2016. Despite his Italian upbringing, Oberti played high school basketball in the U.S., capturing three straight NJAC titles and a conference MVP as a member of Morris Catholic.

Alex Massung

Donahue’s offense is predicated around pinpoint passing, making Massung a perfect fit. The guard out of West Orange, N.J. dominated as both a scorer and a playmaker during his time at Hudson Catholic. Massung’s 442 points and 96 assists during his senior season earned him a HCIAL first team nod, and his size and athleticism at the guard position give the Quakers a reliable double for senior guard George Smith.

Bradyn Foster

The lone Pennsylvania native in this year’s class, Foster also stands out as an example of the way basketball has changed in recent years. At 6-foot-8, a previous version of Foster may have been banished under the basket to post-up and rebound – but as the game has become more positionless, players like Foster have also been encouraged to hone their ball-handling and shooting skills. That all-around approach to the game has given Foster a major advantage, leading to a 1,000 point high school career and a second-team PIAA Class 4A All-State selection as a senior.

“Up until high school, I was really trained strictly as a guard and I actually struggled as a big man during my freshman year,” Foster told City of Basketball Love, following his commitment to Penn. “I was lucky to have a coach [in Dotchin] who was good enough with skills that he helped me develop my big man game as well. Being trained as a guard up until this point really helped my versatility.”

AJ Levine

Last season was a historic one for Penn guards, with freshmen Sam Brown and Tyler Perkins breaking the first-year duo scoring record and Clark Slajchert leading the Quakers in scoring with 18 points per game. But with Perkins and Slajchert gone, Penn hopes Levine can help fill their massive shoes. Hailing from Elmhurst, Ill., averaged 18.3 points per game as a senior, making the most of his 6-foot-0 frame. He also made an impact as a pesky defender, setting his high school’s single season record for steals with 122.