11-10-23-mens-soccer-vs-brown-stas-korzeniowski-ivy-semifinals-chenyao-liu
Junior forward Stas Korzeniowski secured a First-Team All-Tournament spot for his performance in last week's Ivy Tournament semifinal matchup against Brown on Nov. 10. Credit: Chenyao Liu

Freshman running back Malachi Hosley, junior defender Leo Burney, and junior forward Stas Korzeniowski received Ivy League weekly recognition for their performances over the weekend.

Penn has seen its fair share of brutal losses in the past week. Men’s soccer suffered an upset in penalty kicks versus fourth-seeded Brown in the Ivy League’s inaugural men's soccer tournament, and football faced a similar fate by losing to Harvard in triple overtime to be eliminated from Ivy League title contention. Both squads entered their matches with do-or-die attitudes, and both walked away defeated in grandiose fashion.

Thankfully, in looking past the large losses that hang over both teams' heads, there is a bright side to report on. During these losses, Penn had several noteworthy performances from a handful of players, but three specifically received direct recognition from the Ivy League.

Starting with men’s soccer, Korzeniowski and Burney received first team All-Tournament honors for their efforts against Brown. The pair had accounted for both of Penn’s goals during regulation and overtime, with Burney scoring off of a Korzeniowski assist and Korzeniowski scoring off of a Burney assist.

On top of these performances, Hosley also received conference recognition, earning his fifth weekly award of this season. This mark ties a program record set by former wide receiver Justin Watson — a two-time Super Bowl champion and current star for the Kansas City Chiefs. Hosley put up over 100 yards and two touchdowns in the loss against Harvard, which stands as his second straight 100-yard rushing performance. Hosley burst onto the scene this season in the team's game versus Georgetown on Oct. 7, and hasn’t looked back, racking up a plethora of stellar performances in only his first year with the team. 

While both teams will tell you that they are disappointed by the way their championship hopes ended, it’s hard not to see the bright futures they have ahead of them. Looking forward, both Penn men’s soccer and football will have returning stars with hopes of contention.