marc-satalof-photo-from-penn-medicine
Marc Satalof ended his more than 50-year streak of blood donations on Nov. 15 at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine (Photo from Penn Medicine).

Longtime blood donor Marc Satalof marked an end to his more than 50-year streak of blood donations on Nov. 15 at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine. 

Satalof gave blood for the first time at the age of 22 at the Hospital of Pennsylvania so that his mother, who was going into surgery, would have sufficient blood. That first donation sparked a series of donations that would amount to over 35 gallons by the time Satalof was 76.  

At his final blood donation, Satalof was met with special recognition from his primary care physician, Kristin Christensen. 

“Mr. Satalof is a kind and generous soul who has helped to save many lives through his 54 years of blood donation,” Christensen told Penn Medicine. “I am humbled by his dedication to serving his community in this way. I am grateful that he is receiving recognition for his great act of service, and I am hopeful that his story will inspire others to donate and carry on his mission after he ‘retires.’”

Satalof — who initially set a goal to donate 25 gallons — worked for the Philadelphia School District for more than 30 years, serving both as a science teacher and then a principal. He has donated blood at schools, hospitals, and community centers. 

“I’ve donated just about everywhere there is. Even buses,” Satalof told the Philadelphia Inquirer

Salatof developed mild anemia in recent years and agreed with Christensen that 35 gallons donated would be a good stopping point. “It’s been a long road, but it’s time to stop,” Satalof told Penn Medicine. “I’ve enjoyed these 50-plus years and I know that many people have benefited.”

According to the Mayo Clinic, each blood donation has the potential to help up to three individuals. It can be utilized for a variety of medical needs, including aiding patients who have experienced trauma or those suffering from illnesses that hinder their ability to produce enough blood.