11-12-22-football-vs-harvard-liam-obrien-anna-vazhaeparambil
After only seeing action in last season's matchup against Harvard, sophomore quarterback Liam O’Brien showed out against Bucknell on Sept. 23, completing the drive for Penn’s second touchdown. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

For most backup quarterbacks, the end zone is nothing more than a dream. But for sophomore quarterback Liam O’Brien, it is a weekly destination.

“This year they just threw it on me,” O’Brien said of his unique place in Penn’s offense. “I took it and ran.”

Life with the clipboard in hand can be a chore for many signal-callers who are used to running the show. And while he is still second on the depth chart behind junior starting quarterback Aidan Sayin, O’Brien has carved out a distinct role for himself amid Penn football’s 4-1 start: finisher.

Over the Quakers’ first five games, O’Brien has reached the end zone four times, good for the most touchdowns on the team. This is the result of a unique implementation of O’Brien in Penn’s red zone offense: When the Red and Blue near the goal line, they sub O’Brien in, put the ball in his hands, and trust him to do the rest.

“When we recruited [O’Brien], he was a tremendous athlete. … He’s a tremendous runner, athlete, vision,” Offensive Coordinator Dan Swanstrom said. “Obviously [Sayin] has been playing well, so we knew [O’Brien] was a great player and we were just trying to give him an opportunity to play.”

O’Brien’s most recent trip to pay dirt came in the Quakers’ 20-17 road victory over Columbia, when he plowed across the goal line from less than one yard out to give Penn a 10-7 lead in the second quarter. It was one of just two touchdowns for Penn on the day, and played a pivotal part in their first Ivy League win of the season.

The Quakers are undefeated in games where O’Brien scores, with other victories coming over Georgetown and Bucknell. Of his 15 carries on the season, 27% have resulted in a touchdown. O’Brien credits his nose for the end zone to his natural athletic ability, as well as his background in other open-field sports.

“I’ve been blessed with a little bit of athleticism,” O’Brien said. “I played a lot of lacrosse when I was growing up, so I just trusted my lacrosse ability, my ability to move with my feet, and just read the defense and find a hole.”

That athleticism gives O’Brien an extra element to his game from the quarterback spot, and in the process, unlocks a new dimension for Swanstrom and the Quaker offense. Though opposing defenses typically know what to expect when O’Brien lines up, his existence in the arsenal makes the Red and Blue attack that much harder to prepare for.

“Anytime your quarterback is a real threat to run the football, it allows you to play 11-on-11 football,” Swanstrom said. “It really equates the numbers in the game.”

Even amid O’Brien’s touchdown barrage, his role as the team’s primary backup has not fallen out of focus. There is no position more important than quarterback, and O’Brien must, in his own words, “be ready to do whatever the starter does” in case of injury. But as it stands, O’Brien is enjoying a rare opportunity: the chance to aid his team’s winning efforts even in a reserve role.

“It’s awesome to get on the field and really contribute to the team,” O’Brien said.

“He’s a tremendous quarterback,” Swanstrom said of O’Brien. “So we have high expectations when his opportunity comes, he’s going to play high-level quarterback here at Penn. He prepares well, he’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast, he can throw it … we’re just hoping he’s ready to answer that opportunity. We think he will be.”

With Sayin the unquestioned starter this season, it may be some time before O’Brien’s window opens. But if you want to see him in the meantime, just keep your eye on the finish line.