01-06-21-trump-u-s-capitol-riot-kylie-cooper
2010 Penn graduate Patrick Stedman was convicted on five counts for his involvement in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection. Credit: Kylie Cooper

2010 College graduate Patrick Stedman was convicted of both felony and misdemeanor charges for his involvement in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection. 

Stedman was convicted on five counts: obstruction of an official proceeding, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly conduct in a Capitol building, and parading, demonstrating or picketing inside a Capitol building, according to the official press release by the District of Columbia’s Department of Justice. 

Stedman was in the Capitol building for over 40 minutes during the insurrection, which he recounted in detail and posted to his various social media accounts, according to the press release.  

“I was pretty much in the first wave, and we broke down the doors and climbed up the back part of the Capitol building and got all the way into the chambers,” Stedman said in a video he recorded 11 minutes after he left the riot. 

He faces a maximum of 20 years of imprisonment and fines up to several hundred thousand dollars, according to the press release. Since Jan. 6, over 1,000 individuals have been arrested for their roles in the insurrection: 350 of whom were charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement officers. 

On Jan. 6, 2021, an insurrectionist, right-wing mob stormed the U.S. Capitol building with the intention to halt the count and certification of the electoral votes for the 2020 presidential election. Over 10,000 people stormed Capitol grounds, with at least 2,000 making their way into the building itself. Five people died during or as a result of the insurrection, with around 140 law enforcement officers suffering injuries, according to The Washington Post.

The riot was incited by 1968 Wharton graduate and former president Donald Trump, who was recently indicted on charges for his role to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

Former classmates at Haddonfield Memorial High School and Penn helped turn Stedman into the FBI, ultimately leading to his indictment, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

At Penn, Stedman received a double degree in History and Political Science with a minor in Modern Middle Eastern Studies, according to MyPenn. He was involved with Penn Debate Society and Penn Political Review. At the time of his conviction, Stedman was the owner of The Dynamic Man, a sex and relationship specialist and a self-described “pickup artist” for men, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. 

Following his conviction, Stedman broke the news to his followers in a tweet that read “Guilty on all counts.” He followed up in a thread, writing that “[his legal team] put on the best case that [they] possibly could. No regrets. [His] fate is in God’s hands now.”