five-new-administrators-to-know-at-penn-this-fall
The Daily Pennsylvanian gathered a list of five new administrators at Penn including Sophia Lee (top left), Sigal Ben-Porath (top right), Katharine Strunk (bottom right), Rand Quinn (center), and Malik Muhammad (bottom left).

With the wide array of programs offered by Penn, it can be hard to keep up with who’s in charge. The Daily Pennsylvanian has gathered a list of five administrators who recently assumed, or will soon be assuming, new roles within the University.

1. Sophia Lee

Lee was recently appointed dean of the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, starting her tenure as the school’s first female dean on July 1. Lee joined the Penn Carey Law faculty in 2009 as an assistant professor of law. She has since held a variety of service and leadership positions at Penn Carey Law, including a term as deputy dean from 2015-2017. Ted Ruger previously served as dean for eight years.

2. Katharine Strunk

Shrunk was appointed dean of the Graduate School of Education in April, and assumed the position on July 1. She came to Penn from Michigan State University, where she was a professor focused on educational policy and economics as well as the inaugural director of Michigan State’s Education Policy Innovation Collaborative. In the announcement of her appointment, Shrunk wrote that she looks forward to “expand[ing] educational access, especially for those undeserved by society.” Pam Grossman previously served as dean for eight years.

3. Malik Muhammad

Muhammad, who was formerly the LGBT Center’s associate director, transitioned into a new role as the inaugural director of inclusion initiatives and social justice education within the Office of University Life on July 1. Throughout his five years as associate director, he moderated several events, including SPEC events with “Everywhere Everywhere All at Once” star Stephanie Hsu and “Euphoria” actress Hunter Schafer. He also was instrumental in Mask and Wig’s transition to a gender-inclusive comedy group. A Philadelphia native, Muhammad is also a member of the Penn Center for AIDS Research Community Advisory Board and the Colours Organization board. 

4. Rand Quinn

Quinn became the next faculty director of the Civic House and Civic Scholars Program on Aug. 1. An associate professor in GSE, his appointment was announced by Provost John Jackson Jr. on July 27. Quinn has held several roles over the course of his 11 years at Penn, including senior faculty mentor for the Penn Graduate Community-Engaged Research Mentor program at the Netter Center for Community Partnerships and a member of the Environmental Innovations Initiative advisory committee.

5. Sigal Ben-Porath

Ben-Porath will become the next faculty director of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Paideia Program, which offers civil dialogue programming for Penn undergraduates, on Sept. 1. She has taught in GSE since 2004 and is currently the MRMJJ Presidential Professor of Education. The job description stated that the program was looking for a candidate with “intellectual and programmatic leadership and vision.”