sansom-place-east-sukhmani-kaur
Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Penn has begun construction on a $94.5M renovation of Sansom Place East — with reopening scheduled for the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year. 

Sansom Place East is one of the only available on-campus graduate housing options, along with Sansom Place West. The renovation, which was announced in July 2021, includes plans for 473 furnished units, totaling 588 beds, reported the Construction Specifier

Studios and two-bedroom apartments will be available. Plans include private bathrooms for each bedroom, even in two-bedroom units, and in-unit washer-dryers in all units. 

The adjacent outdoor plaza will also be updated to include a deck and an entrance to new amenity spaces in the building. Penn has partnered with Greystar Real Estate Partners to complete the project. 

The renovations are focused on providing attainable pricing for the units with amenities that meet the needs of graduate students. Amenities in the building will include a fitness center, study spaces, kitchen, and multipurpose rooms. 

The renovation comes after student complaints surfaced regarding living conditions at Sansom Place East, which is one of the only on-campus housing options for graduate students. Students noted the faulty appliances, lack of cleanliness, and late responses to maintenance requests in the building when it was open.

The Philadelphia Museum of Contemporary Art and other nearby businesses will remain open during the renovation, as reported by the Construction Specifier.