european-wax-center-thomas-chen
Credit: Thomas Chen

European Wax Center opened its University City location last month at 3435 Walnut Street next to Dunkin’. 

European Wax Center is a hair removal business with locations across Philadelphia and the United States. Franchise Owner Jackie Donofrio said University City is an optimal location for businesses, catering to various students from different universities as well as the local community. Both European Wax Center and Penn said they are excited about the new campus partnership.  

“We are excited to welcome European Wax Center to University City and look forward to them providing the popular goods and services desired by our campus community and neighbors,” Ed Datz, executive director of Real Estate at Penn Facilities and Real Estate Services, said.

Donofrio said the new location offers a great opportunity to service students from Penn, Temple University, and Drexel University. Donofrio added that many of the customers at the new location used to go to the European Wax Center location in Rittenhouse.

European Wax Center offers various waxing services ranging from eyebrow waxing to facials with prices spanning from $12 for a lower lip wax to $75 for a leg wax, depending on the service. The store also sells pharmaceutical-grade products to use after waxing.

Donofrio said the wax attaches only to hair — not skin — and requires only a warm temperature, which prevents burning and makes waxing easier.

College sophomore Victoria Conroy, who visited European Wax Center on Sept. 28, said she enjoyed the experience.

“It was really clean and well kept. I felt really comfortable during the whole process and the staff was very nice and welcoming,” Conroy said. “I will be going back because of how convenient and nice it is.”

Conway previously traveled to Skincare Lounge SPA on 15th and Sansom streets before the new European Wax Center opened. The new store is also offering discounts to bring in new customers from Penn, including the first wax free for brows, bikini line, underarm, nose, and ears, according to the European Wax Center website. Bikini and brazilian waxes are also 50% off the first wax. 

“We’re very happy to be here; the Penn community has been wonderful, and we look forward to having a great partnership,” Donofrio said.